Using old crabtree switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I would like to replace the light switch in the utility for an old industrial type Crabtree switch. The current switch has 3 switches to turn on/off the lights in the utility, an outside light and a kitchen light. I have attached a photo of the current wiring of the switch and the (hopefully) replacement switches. The Crabtree on its own is a 2 way not sure if I would need to use this to control the light in the kitchen. If it is possible is it something I could do or would it be best to get a professional?

Attachments

• 20240430_153328.jpg
    20240430_153328.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240430_153339.jpg
    20240430_153339.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20240430_153444.jpg
    20240430_153444.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
The left hand switch in your photo is a two way switch, there's another switch that also operates that light.
The Crabtree switches do not have a two-way capability.
So not possible, unless you can do away with the two-way function.

EDIT. The middle switch doesnt seem to be two-way. It looks more like a double pole switch of some sort.

I am not an electrician... how do you plan to earth the metal backbox?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. Does it mean I can replace one of the 3 crabtree with the single shown in the photo with L1,L2 and Com and then wire up the rest as normal?

Thank you for the replies. Does it mean I can replace one of the 3 crabtree with the single shown in the photo with L1,L2 and Com and then wire up the rest as normal?
Sure, if the switch is fit for purpose. Might be worth checking with a multimeter to be sure.

PS
... how do you plan to earth the metal backbox?
...and ensure that the individual switches are properly earthed.

How would I earth the wires please?

You would need to drill, and tap a hole for a brass screw, in the cast iron of the box - as a minimum. I would also like to see the cover drilled and tapped, to allow for an earth wire, linking that to the earth of the box itself. Both would be best done, on a thicker part of the casting.

You would need to drill, and tap a hole for a brass screw, in the cast iron of the box - as a minimum. I would also like to see the cover drilled and tapped, to allow for an earth wire, linking that to the earth of the box itself. Both would be best done, on a thicker part of the casting.
As this is a making something work that is 50+ Years old with lethal voltages involved, I would want to see that
A) any earth wire is confirmed to be actually earthed and
B) a continuity test is done between the new earth connection on the box and the metal of each switch

As this is a making something work that is 50+ Years old with lethal voltages involved, I would want to see that
A) any earth wire is confirmed to be actually earthed and
B) a continuity test is done between the new earth connection on the box and the metal of each switch

Not that all that much different, to a modern metal faced switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back