Using old Rubber Cables on a new rewire!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the middle of a rewire. The property is occupied and I've been doing my best to not make a mess of decor etc.
The main room they didn't want any damage to was their lounge which I have managed except for two wall lights.
The existing wiring is all rubber cables installed in the 60's.
I've just told them I cant find any way down to the lights and will have to chase down to them. They have asked me to leave the old cable in to the wall lights as they do not want any redecoration in this room.

Can i leave this cable in and just write it in the limitations section of the cert or will they just have to lump the mess.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not a spark but didn't you go through with the customer before starting/taking on the job that some chasing out will need to be done?

Andy

yes I did, as all the other lights/switches etc have metal capping i've been able to save chasing most things by using this or by chasing down in other adjoining rooms.

Being rubber does not mean it does not comply. If the cables are OK and there is an earth then not really a problem only you will have to attach the duel colours notice.

However 1960's likely no earth. I have read the ESC thing on no earth to lighting and really I don't agree with them. To my mind from 1968 to now is 44 years so at least 4 PIR's done so loads of time to have corrected.

Most wall lamps have some metal so likely you will find it hard to get a class II lamp.

If the cable has degraded again no real option. Well there are three options.
1) It's OK anyway so not a problem.
2) You chase down the wall.
3) They are left disconnected.

Yes you should have seen this problem before you started but too late for that but wait and see what the others say and do read the ESC guidance notes although I don't agree with them it could be your saviour.

Sponsored Links
If it's VIR cable, you must tell your client it has to be removed, sorry disconnected!
Have you done any IR tests on these cables?
You can leave the cables within the wall, if you are putting new cables in.
Can you chase down the reverse side of the wall, if so what thickness are these walls?

Don't think its VIR (doesn't it have cotton round the outside?)
Not done any tests on it yet, as I wasn't sure if I could use the cable.
It does have an earth.
Can't chase down other side of wall as it joins next door.

Personally I would not reconnect the rubber wiring. If you reconnect it, they will never bother having it replaced, and at some point sooner or later it will fail. No doubt there's no CPC either, and they are bound to want metal wall lights.

We've just had some circuits re-terminated which were all in VIR from mid 1960's. All cables tested perfectly both for EFLI and IR.

The main thing is to ensure that the insulation isn't cracking before you start re-using the cable.

Assuming the wall light wiring is the same age as the rest of the old wiring, it seems pointless to leave it in when the rest has been replaced.

I would say it was unusual to install rubber cables as fixed wiring in the 60s, though very common in the 30s-50s. Is the cable the regular rubber twin and earth stuff? It's probably reached the end of it's life.

You say the other side of the wall is next door. Occasionally the wall between two houses can have a cavity - though not often. :idea:

It may be that the old wall light wiring IS in capping, though the ends are just buried in plaster. :idea:

Personally I don't like the idea of reconnecting old rubber cables, and would be inclined to disconnect them and just fit the wall lights over the holes.

One technique I've seen in pubs is to run a narrow round conduit (16 mm copper water pipe if you ask me) down the wall surface and fit a round wooden pattress behind the wall light. Somehow this makes it look old fashioned, and like it's meant to be there. :idea:

Send pictures if you can just for curiousity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back