'Vaccine' shortage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The EU's problem is supply rates and that has now cropped up here as well.

Various govs have funded development and manufacture of AZ but not enough to account for supply rates needed which has to be an economic decision. It seems there is some reliance on the Indian Serum Institute and also the need to retest a batch, sort of assumes that the first test didn't go well. ;) Hope they don't go experimental. Vaccine batches are known to suffer from this. In fact before one was even available they mentioned that the amount ordered never arrives, it's always short.

On supply in general there is some poker faced political posturing. Maybe the EU's is the most straight forwards one - exporting stacks all over the place from Germany and in need of more than they are getting. Lots end up here as well.

The hesitancy on AZ started in S Africa. Very small test but those that had it still had symptoms including in some cases shortness of breath. They didn't give precise details. Then not enough older people during testing. Then the clot problem. Pf has some too including a death also sudden deaths. It's tricky as these occur anyway. AZ has more. Neither exceed expected levels so suddenly all start using it again.

:) It's all just life really. Things happen.

Sponsored Links
All done for me. Incredible machine at Roman Way hotel jab centre. It took about 3 minutes tops from leaving the car to getting back in again.

Literally in sat down “what arm?” Done Back in van. Advised to sit in vehicle for 10 or 15 minutes.
Felt like a bad cold was coming in the night. Achey etc. After getting up in the morning, fine. Arm didn’t hurt at all.

Sponsored Links
I was vaccinated about 2 weeks ago. No weird side effects (Pfizer) but a stiff arm for maybe 24 hrs. No worse than a flu jab.

No 15 minute wait then?
No.
My wife was proper rankled. I actually dozed off when she went for her (1:15 min) jab.

We were ushered every 15 yards by the car park people so you could not possibly take a wrong turn.

As soon as I was out of the car I was barked at to join the pedestrian traffic.

I joined 4 other folks on the footpath where we were greeted by volunteers clutching I-pads asking us our names and looking at the forms we filled in previously.

We were then sent into the building - ushered all the way by two more hi viz.

As we were entering we were barked at 'get your arm ready!'

Another hi viz said join any free (de-marked) lane which I did.

I was quickly into a seat with my arm ready and less than 8 seconds - bam - 'youre done'. Next!

Another lady was stood next to the seat I was in with the jab confirmation card bellowing to me 'do not lose this'.

Back in the car after about three minutes.

PHEW!

Got mine on Monday

been hanging on till a centre opens up closer to me which it now has

not bothered what recipe of vaccination I get either

would have the Russian recipe if it was in offer

On supply in general there is some poker faced political posturing.

With the current trajectory of the EU, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit more than posturing. But if they ban the Pfizer vaccine from being exported to the UK, we retaliate by stopping the export from the UK of raw materials needed to produce the Pfizer vaccine.
I wouldn't put anything past Mad Macron, he's French you know.

Mad Macron, he's French you know

He's going to be AZ's shortly or may have been done already. ;) He's sort of manned up.

What'll happen. Pass our lot has a recording that goes with a poker face - "We have a contract". The previous we already have enough to do the entire population clearly isn't correct. EU well simple really more is going out, a lot more than they are getting. That's EU statements not different countries. It included the number of Pf's sent here. The UK may be hedging it's bets on which works the best. Unknown really at the moment.

A new one wont come on line until spring ;) well astronomical spring is this weekend, the other has passed. :whistle: we are not supposed to know that.

they knew there may be a problem on feb the 1st ---why----
because you give 400.000 doses a day in an increasing day to day level and only perhaps 2% is second that means in 12 weeks time you must match or exceeded the 400.000 doses just to keep up so they either need to micro manage and hold back a bit on first doses to make sure theres enough off a reserve to cover the second or risk the second doses being late and possibly ineffective or hope for extra capacity well above the 450.000 level which seems unlikely???
around centre off page here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

With the current trajectory of the EU, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit more than posturing. But if they ban the Pfizer vaccine from being exported to the UK, we retaliate by stopping the export from the UK of raw materials needed to produce the Pfizer vaccine.
I wouldn't put anything past Mad Macron, he's French you know.

The EU has huge vaccine production capacity, it is a net exporter of vaccines, the UK has very little and has relied on EU production even for UK designed vaccines by companies like GSK, manufacture and distribute their vaccines from Belgium - this has been a major Brexit headache for AZ and GSK as finishing lines have had to be moved over the boarder to get EU approval etc.

It seems this massive capacity has lead to complacency in the EU. The UK on the other hand had very little home production and has spent a huge some of money (£13bn) on advanced contracts and building some quite modest local production as a preoccupation

By the summer the EU will most likely have far greater vaccine manufacturing capacity than the UK.

Meanwhile the UK has Brexit damage to deal with for the next decade.....so enjoy your rabid vaccine nationalism while you can

By the summer the EU will most likely have far greater vaccine manufacturing capacity than the UK.

There is at least one other UK based plant coming along but to be frank all of this vaccine flag waving is stupid.

Gov's putting money in - they all have.

Whoops forgot to add that they probably already have a greater capacity than us but aren't using it on themselves. Not sure of numbers but think >12,000,000 Pf's have been sent here.

The EU has huge vaccine production capacity, it is a net exporter of vaccines, the UK has very little and has relied on EU production even for UK designed vaccines by companies like GSK, manufacture and distribute their vaccines from Belgium - this has been a major Brexit headache for AZ and GSK as finishing lines have had to be moved over the boarder to get EU approval etc.

It seems this massive capacity has lead to complacency in the EU. The UK on the other hand had very little home production and has spent a huge some of money (£13bn) on advanced contracts and building some quite modest local production as a preoccupation

Meanwhile the UK has Brexit damage to deal with for the next decade.....so enjoy your rabid vaccine nationalism while you can

Just to note it's not the UK that is making vaccines a nationalistic device, it is the EU.

As you have cleverly pointed out the UK's manufacturing capability is far less than in the EU, the EU has 27 countries to choose from for production plants and traditionally when we were part of the EU vaccines weren't produced in the UK as businesses preferred to produce in the EU , the UK with only a single plant and I think it was around 5-8 million doses produced per month ( I need to look it up for exact figures) .

It is the EU who continually point fingers in the UK's direction, essentially blaming the UK for their shortfall, because we are not sharing,

The UK doesn't have excess capacity of vaccines as yet and the EU appear to disregard this.

AZ have a plant in Denmark ready to come only and have stick oiled around 30 million doses but the EU have not approved the site for vaccine sales within Europe, whether this is down to AZ or EU beurocracy I am not 100% sure .

Just to note it's not the UK that is making vaccines a nationalistic device, it is the EU.

The Tory supporters on here are 100% ramping up vaccine nationalism.

It is indeed the UK.

The EU are desperate and are trying to get more vaccines, it's not nationalistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back