vacuum cleaners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to buy a new vacuum cleaner.
Thought I might look on ebay.
I have jiggered mine by hoovering up too much rubbish in extension.....
I have or did have a dyson but I dont really like it.
Anyone recommend one?

Sponsored Links
weve got a henry. cant recomend it enough. good suction easy to move around the place, light and comes with loads of tools. weve had various ones without bags eg dysons etc and theyre great until the filters get clogged after about 5 minutes!

I ended up buying a Panasonic cyclone-type cleaner, part on recommendation from a friend, part by recommendation on here.

Seems to have been an excellent choice, although I've only had it 4 months or so.

Sponsored Links
I have still got my origional Dyson (it was Brit built an is very reliable ,newer ones are foreign monkey built =cr*p )I wash my filter once every 3 weeks still using same filter ......Very Good machine

although its only house usage ... I would say a henry is Great for heavy duty cleaning

Agree with 'enry for the industrial, heavy stuff, for home, miele, who were great with aftercare when had a problem. Don't know much about dysons meself.

My dyson is not so old and had life long filters but very quickly had poor suction.
My mams one is older and still sucks really well.
I probably have ruined my dyson with heavy duty stuff (havent told hubby that though as he will quite rightly twine at me)
It is also important that the hose has only a short rigid bit near the end so I can get it in places like between the front seats of the car.

AdamW said:
I ended up buying a Panasonic cyclone-type cleaner, part on recommendation from a friend, part by recommendation on here.

Seems to have been an excellent choice, although I've only had it 4 months or so.
Did you take it out of the box yet?

I've got an ancient Dyson that hubby uses for cr@ppy stuff in the garage and it's been useless from day 1.

I have a Miele cat n dog that I use in the house and it is ace except I have 2 very moulty dogs and the bags cost a fortune. That's the only dowside of it but I got a free 5 year guarantee which you don't get with most other cleaners.

I've also got a cheapo LG one for upstairs (can't carry heavy things so hubby decided I needed an upstairs and a downstairs vac). It's a tank one (no bag) and was really chap but is also really good. Downside of that is you have to wash the filter in it and it takes ages to dry.

Canada is on something like 120 volts 60Hz whereas the UK is nominally 230 volts 50Hz.

I have used US-sourced power tools in the past in the UK by using a site step down transformer, such as a Defender. These step down 230 volt power to 110 volt and the tools run OK on that despite the change in frequency. There are also step-up transformers which step 110 volt to 230 volts (which usxwhatvyou need), but the big downsides to these transformers is that they are heavy and they tend to cost in the £60 to £90 range. Because vacuums have quite powerful motors you'd need to look for a 1.5kVA step-up transformer in the UK (these are specifically a UK construction industry thing) and change the plugs to BS.4343 type. Personally, I wouldn't want tolug one of those around the house with me when vacuuming

American and Canadian homes often have a 220 volt supply as well - in the laundry room, basement or garage. AFAIK these require a different plug and they are only in one location in the house (for the washing machine and/or drier), but you cannot guarantee that you'll even have one.

If moving to the States or Canada you are probably better off replacing any electrical stuff unless it runs through a universal power supply (e.g some razors) or through a transformer which can be easily replaced (e.g. laptops)

Another vote for Henry for commercial and Miele for domestic.

We have a Dyson Cyclone V10 rechargeable for everyday use and a Miele Cat 'n' Dog for a good clean once a month.

Sponsored Links
Back