Vaillant Controls and new combi boiler questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have been lurking for a bit but this is my first post so be gentle.

We have had a ground extension done to our 2 bed terraced house and had a new kitchen and the old kitchen is going to be turned into a wet room with a rain shower as a result we have an extra couple of radiators and the shower too.

We currently have a Vaillant Thermo compact located in the main bedroom which has not been serviced in some time and has a re-occurring F22 error and as a result we keep waking up to no hot water, also the hot water tank in our loft is not sufficient for more than 1 1/2 showers in succession.

What we have decided is to go over to a combi boiler, for a couple of reasons. It should be much more efficient (I appreciate that this will take up to 10 years to get my money back), we will not be heating water to be sat in the tank that we are not using and then it gets cold, we will get lots of loft space back and have a boiler that is safe and reliable.

So I have checked the mains water flow to the current boiler which is 14 litres per minute approx.

I now have a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 838, Magna Clean Twin tech, VR430 and VR81 controllers, 1 Litre of Sentinel X100. All sat waiting to be installed

I know this is a very powerfully boiler and probably too big for our needs, but I wanted to ensure that the hot water flow we have is as close to our existing system as possible and because it needs to provide quite a lot of water for the new shower.

We have a plumber who is Gas safe registered who I am in the process of getting a quote to fit the new system and remove the old including power flushing etc.

Now my questions.....

1) I stupidly bought the VR430 and the VR81 thinking that the VR430 does not have a room thermostat in it, but I now realise that it also functions as a room thermostat too. So do I need the VR81 as well, can I use it to give extra functionality or should I send it back and save some money ?

2) I have been looking at 2 products from Scale Master the magnetic type and electrolytic type, I see that the electrolytic type is designed for whole house protection and makes permanent changes to the water and the magnetic type are for single appliance protection but only make temporary changes to the water. Would using the electrolytic type and only connecting to the boiler mean I have better protection than the magnetic device ? (I do not want to use a cartridge/power based solution).

3) Is the water pressure flow from the current mains supply enough ? It is only 15mm pipe and we could put a more directly routed pipe from the mains supply and change it to 22mm up to the boiler and then we would have to go back down to 15 mm pipe (as the connection on the boiler is 15mm) . Would this be worthwhile ?

Cheers in Advance

Jason

Sponsored Links
1) send it back
2)any reasonable inline scale protection device such suffice. None of them work that well anyway.
3) You probably won't get the most from your boiler with 14l/min feeding it. If you can up the flow rate then do it. I'd want to see at least 17-18l/min incoming before specing a 38kw boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back