Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have got BHL coming round tomorrow to advise on a combi boiler change. The boiler we have at minute is a Vaillant. It was installed in 1998 according to the sticker on the front panel. I have only lived in the house for just over a year. As mentioned i am wanting to update the boiler for something more efficient.
I was thinking of the Ecotec Exclusive, i dont know which one out of the two though.

The hous is a three bed 1 bath 1 wc detatched house. Internal wall measurements are 6.2m by 7.5m ceiling heights downstairs are 2.7m, upstairs 2.5m. I have entered the room sizes on a rad calculator website, and the rads add upto roughly 10153 watts or 34655 btu's. How many extra watts/btu's do you add for the pipework etc.

I know i will find this out tomorrow when the heating engineer comes out, but i just wanted a rough idea for now.

Also how much should i expect to pay for a boiler swap. Boiler is staying in the same location. Anyone willing to do the installation.? I live near Pontefract, West Yorkshire.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The ecotec exclusive is a combi so it is sized on hot water demand rather than heating

About £1700 inclusive plus extras like TRVs, upgrading gas supply etc.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Personally I would avoid the exclusive like the plague.

Look at the basic Ecotec Plus 831 or 837, if you really want to stick with Vaillant.

I think £1700 is a bit light, perhaps you should allow for VAT on top of that for a straight combi swap, if there is such a thing.

Thanks

Thats the thing i dont really know which manufacturer to go with. There is always someone who has something negative to say about any of the boiler manufacturers.

What would you recommend then Dave.?

Look at the basic Ecotec Plus 831 or 837, if you really want to stick with Vaillant.

i would agree with dave the 831/7 are a better choice

we charge £1,950/2,150 for these if straight swap adding £235 if we are changing from a BBU or system boiler set up

why are you changing a 10yr old boiler? If you think your going to save lots of money then your likely to be in for dissapointment.

I was wanting to change because i was under the impression that new condensing combi's were more efficient./???
The gasses coming ou the flue are red hot. Obviously wasting energy.

But at around £1000 for a days labour, it looks like the old one is possibly staying where it is. :eek: :eek:

I dont get a tenth of that when my pay is broken down daily.

2 days including a full and proper flush and no doubt you would expect a proper warranty :rolleyes:

I certainly would expect a proper warranty.

Forgive me for jumping the gun a little. I did not realize that it would include a powerflush.

Thanks.

assuming your boiler is a fan flued model, possibly a turbomax? it will be 70-80% efficient. a new one will be around 90% efficient at best. so you may save around 15% . What controls have you got? trvs, and a properly positioned room stat will all help cut costs for less outlay, as does good insulation. I would not recommend replacing a 10yr old boiler based on efficiency reasons.

You get far more saving from cavity wall insulation IF you have a cavity! About 25% !

Increasing 100mm of lost insulation to 200 mm will save another 5-6%.

Draught proofing about 2-8% !

The saving will not justify the cost of replacing a well functioning boiler which is probably closer to 80% efficient already!

With a modern boiler the saving by fitting a condensing boiler is UP to 12% depending on how you use the controls.

Tony

Thanks everyone.

We do have cavity wall insulation, had it done last year. Although we haven't noticed much difference. The loft also has 200mm insulation. Rads have trv's but not all of them work.im in the process of getting them replaced. We also have double glazing. Installed a year ago.

Also on the list of things to insulate is betwwen the joists on the ground floor. Im going to put 100mm of kingspan or similar between the joists. As i think this is making the house cold.

Thanks.

I have just found the instructuion book for the boiler, the model number is VCW-GB 242 EH. Does this ring any bells, and is it rroughly ten years old.?

I forgot to add in my previous post there is no room thermostat. There is just a Myson digital time clock near the boiler. Could a wireless thermostat be fitted to this boiler.?

Im having second thoughts on the change now.

Thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back