Vaillant ecoTEC plus 'Diverter Valve' leakage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus since 2007 which replaced the Potterton Puma combination boiler. My new boiler started leaking two years ago. I thought I'd investigate and discovered that the leak was from the pin that moves in and out. I purchased a diverter valve. The leak began again from this diverter valve. So I purchased second diverter valve which is also leaking. I am stuck with this problem, can anyone please help me with this torment :eek: . I'd really appreciate some help and guidance.

also, the water leaking from the pin is brown and murky like it has dissolved rust.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to flush your system fully before fitting any more DV's.

Yes, I have already done this. I removed all the radiators in my house, took them in the garden and flushed them using a house and there shure was a lot of iron oxide and sludge coming out, would you reccomend me to do a full system powerflush? Would this cure the boiler with it?

You will probably still have loads of crap left in the pipes and even the rads.

I would flush the system with x800 then fit a magnaclean or similar, adding x100.

Sponsored Links
A magnalclean is already fitted and yes I will use an x800 thanks, Will it come with instructions or is it simple. I'll figure out which pipe goes where on the machine, but do I need to add the x800 into the central Like I'd normally do? And would'nt I just be ok with adding anti-freeze instead of the x100?

thanks in advance :)

if you already have a magnaclean try cleaning it out :idea: :idea:

I think I'm better off doing a powerflush, as my magnaclean filter does'nt really get much sludge stuck to it, I'm guessing because the sludge is stuck to the bottom of the radiators :cry:

I'm 100% certain thats its magnetic as I have a mettle bracelet arround my wrist, When I service the filter, the bracelet is attracted to the magnet. I think Its because everything is stuck inisde the radiators and the pipes. When I had a look at the inside one of the pipes connecting a radiator lasttime, there was a layer of sludge stuck arround the inside which also indicates that reminder of the sludge is stuck and not fully remove, So I think I'm gonna do a powerflush of the whole system, just not shure at what point the inhibitors go in. :(

How often to you top up the system pressure?

When ever the system pressure drops or when the needle reaches the light grey bit on the gage But the central heating system hardly requires topping up, if it does, its usually after a long time! :D

I've had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus since 2007 which replaced the Potterton Puma combination boiler. My new boiler started leaking two years ago. I thought I'd investigate and discovered that the leak was from the pin that moves in and out. I purchased a diverter valve. The leak began again from this diverter valve. So I purchased second diverter valve which is also leaking. I am stuck with this problem, can anyone please help me with this torment :eek: . I'd really appreciate some help and guidance.

also, the water leaking from the pin is brown and murky like it has dissolved rust.

Thanks..

I think u'd better start by returning those valves under warranty mate or ur gonna go broke. I've never heard of DV's packing up so quickly on these

If your system water is brown/orange it suggests you have highly oxygenated water, usually from repeated topping up, Hep2O plastic pipework, or some electrolytic or acidic (soft water) corrosion.

As mentioned above I would power flush your whole system using X800 in the correct dose (you may need more than 1L), then clean your Magnaclean, completely drain your system after fresh water flushing all rads then refill and add X100 in the correct dose.

Sentinel also provide a water sample analysis service which may be of use because something just doesn't sound right. Your magnaclean is on the return from the heating system close to the boiler?

Bunny

Thanks..

I think u'd better start by returning those valves under warranty mate or ur gonna go broke. I've never heard of DV's packing up so quickly on these

@Blooflame - Yes I will do that, but do I return it to vaillant?

@The831Bunny - No, the water is green as I've added anti-freeze and yes my magnaclean filter is on the return pipe to the boiler, its connected just under the boil. But I only soldered the pipe which comes out of the magnaclean filter, the pipe which enters water into the filter is joined using compression, does this affect the performance? There is sludge in the filter, but not much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back