Valliant burner gasket replace or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
coming up to our 6th service for a Valliant Eco tec non combi boiler - one company is saying burner gasket should be replaced at 5 yrs from install date or theres risk of damage to the boiler "which is very expensive to repair" , another is saying it doesnt need to be replaced. They are both GasSafe Who should I be listening to?!

Sponsored Links
I would get qualification from Vaillant
Gas Safe they might be, but one may not have enough working knowledge of boiler requiring work carried out on it

Some vaillant boilers had an issue where the seal would fail, then the heat blowing through would set expensive internal parts of the boiler on fire. Basically writing of the boiler. Not sure if your is in or out of that list though, a gas engineer should know though.

Sponsored Links
coming up to our 6th service for a Valliant Eco tec non combi boiler - one company is saying burner gasket should be replaced at 5 yrs from install date or theres risk of damage to the boiler "which is very expensive to repair" , another is saying it doesnt need to be replaced. They are both GasSafe Who should I be listening to?!

)
listen to the Voice of common sense

thanks for replies.... ok I rang Valliant and they said it should be replaced at 5 yrs from install.

I'm not going to use the people that said replace it as they were the original installers and I wasnt happy dealing with them at the time. I had a letter last week from them warning of this issue sent as part of their yearly marketing saying the anniversary of the install was up and did I want them to service it etc.

Since the install I've used another local firm with good reputation, for servicing every year and they are the ones telling me the gasket is not required. So how would you guys suggest to this company that they change this gasket without getting up their nose. It seems to me that I am undermining them by telling them what they should be doing, even if the info is via Valliant!

Each time the burner is removed then the burner door seal should be replaced, the door seal comes in a pack which includes burner door fixing nuts along with gas train fibre washer etc.
For 20 notes it’s a no brainier not to replace.

thanks for replies.... ok I rang Valliant and they said it should be replaced at 5 yrs from install.

I'm not going to use the people that said replace it as they were the original installers and I wasnt happy dealing with them at the time. I had a letter last week from them warning of this issue sent as part of their yearly marketing saying the anniversary of the install was up and did I want them to service it etc.

Since the install I've used another local firm with good reputation, for servicing every year and they are the ones telling me the gasket is not required. So how would you guys suggest to this company that they change this gasket without getting up their nose. It seems to me that I am undermining them by telling them what they should be doing, even if the info is via Valliant!

You find a different service company. If the one you have now aren't following the manufacturers instructions on servicing, you shouldn't be letting them in the house...ask yourself, what else aren't they doing properly? Are they actually doing a service, or just poking an analyser in the fluid, declaring that the numbers are within limits and fleecing you for £60 (or whatever) for the privilege?

Personally, I replace these gaskets every 2 years as part of a full strip down service. They must be replaced every time the burner door is removed, and removing the door is the only way to check the combustion chamber & burner head are free of debris, and the insulation is intact. The path through to the condensate trap can only be checked and flushed if the burner door is removed. It also gives a chance to check the electrodes are in good condition and correctly aligned.

thanks Muggles I guess thats the sensible conclusion. Only thing I would say is I cannot guarantee they havnt changed this gasket during the last 4 yrs of servicing as I don't stand over them watching but given what they said over the phone about it not being an instruction they would give as a company, then I presume it hasnt.

In the seal pack you get a sticky label and any intelligent eng. will write on the install date and attach to the boiler.

Even with the graphite seal 5 years is pushing it IMHO especially if you happen to have one of the faulty heat exchangers (the coil bundle to front face tolerances were excessive leading to higher temperatures at the seal interface...hence the upgrade to a graphite seal).

Anyone in the trade unaware of this fact should be chucked out the business...no excuses for not knowing about it.

In the seal pack you get a sticky label and any intelligent eng. will write on the install date and attach to the boiler.

Anyone in the trade unaware of this fact should be chucked out the business...no excuses for not knowing about it.[/QUOTE

What nonsense

Explain or are you just another ignorant heating installer.
There are no end of recall notices/technical bulletins issued by Gas-safe...after so many years how anyone can't be aware of the Vaillant seal issue is beyond me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back