Valliant Ecotech boiler:- I am losing the will to live!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Briefy, I have a Valliant EcoTech boiler that has been installed approximately 5 years.
During this time I have had three pumps fitted, with the last one being fitted approximately a month ago. At the same time I needed a pressure sensor fitted apparently.

Two days ago I had a F.71 error and needed an NTC flow sensor replacing and this has now been done.

The other issue I have since the pump was fitted (and I have tried speaking to my plumber about this, who just doesn't seem to believe what I am trying to say to him) is that the bolier heats the radiators irrespective of whether the thermostat in the house (Honeywell basic dial type) is off or on. I can even turn the thermostat on the boiler all the way off and you can still see the boiler fire up (flame icon in LCD screen).

Whilst sitting at home, with no hot water running and the thermostat turned off, I can hear the boiler start up. I do not have pre-heat (or whatever you called it) turned on, so it's not like it is heating the water up in it's internal chamber.

The boiler makes a noticible whistleling noise when it is running, which I have never noticed with previous pumps, not too sure if this is relevant.

I really am at the end of my tether wth this damn thing. I have spent nearly £400.00 on this in the last couple of months and I can't afford to keep spending this sort of money. Can anyone give me any idea's what may be wrong. I'm no plumber but it just seems that the boiler is ignoring both the built in and external thermostat.

Please help me!

Sponsored Links
Press the i button to get the status code to see what the boiler thinks its doing.

When I press the 'I' button it just shows 5.27 on the screen, pressing it again reverts it back to the lcd display that is there by default.

Are you sure there is no 'C' icon in the display window?

Sponsored Links
3 pumps, a pressure sensor, whistling from the heat exchanger, possible DV fault......you my friend have a dirty system. Get it cleaned, fit a filter, and then sort out the issues, else they'll keep coming back.

3 pumps, a pressure sensor, whistling from the heat exchanger, possible DV fault......you my friend have a dirty system. Get it cleaned, fit a filter, and then sort out the issues, else they'll keep coming back.

I've had a magnaclean fitted about 12 months ago, so was hoping that would clean it out. No C in the display I'm afraid.

Excuse my ignorance what's a DV?

I've had a magnaclean fitted about 12 months ago, so was hoping that would clean it out. No C in the display I'm afraid.

Unfortunately fitting a magna clean will not clean your system it will collect some of the magnetite floating round your system but you need to powerflush first then the magna clean will protect your boiler

Ok thanks for all the help. I will have to get it power flushed, but it looks like that is going to cost another £400.00, so it'll have to wait for now.

with regards to the c in the screen as you have satated you seen an s.2x code the 2 in there means warmstart is switched on hence the reason for the night time activity does sound like a d/v problem but not worth replacing untill you get the other fault (dirty system ) sorted first,

i am guessing you have the pro model as there is no c in the screen, just below the screen is there three lights (red amber and green)?

if so the green light wil be lit all the time if so turn the hot water control knob all the way anticlockwise leave untill green light goes of then return to normal position (not all the clockwise or the green light comes back) that will stop the heating coming on randomly, but the rads wil still heat while hot water is drawn.

time for a system clean and a new d/v then all should be rosey, don't blame the boiler blame the crap in your system for breaking it.

I believe the plumber who installed the boiler initially should have done the power flush, as he knew he was installing the boiler onto an old system. He also never put inhibitor in the system, which I don't suppose helped.

Well its easy to blame someone who is not here...but I never power flush(although I would use the mains to do so) but always put the much superior spirovent on all my systems and never have a problem.

Power flush is grossly overrated...and over sold EXCEPT on OV systems in flats....and may be two story houses...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back