Valliant or Worcester or Ideal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure these are very subjective and everyone has there own opinions but the more info I get the better maybe!! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway I have been getting quotes for boilers and so far the Valliant has been offered by all the installers but then other options have been thrown into the pot. So below are the 3 options I have boiled it down to.

Valliant Ecotec Plus 838 38kw
Worcester Greenstar 8000 Life 40kw
Ideal Vouge Max C40 40kw

Does anyone have any real word experience with them and can vouch for how reliable / unreliable they all are.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
I’m just awaiting the price of the 8000 but so far they are about £100 difference between the Valliant and ideal.

Vaillant ecotec is what I'd go for, with sensocomfort control

38kw combi sounds ridiculously sized, have they done a heat loss calculation?

How many bathrooms in your house? Unvented cylinder with system boiler would be much better

Sponsored Links
My choice as an installer and repairer is Ideal Vogue

Of the three I'd probably hold my nose and go for the Worcester as it's got the best modulation - it'll go down to 3.5kW which keeps it efficient for more of the year. You need to use WB's expensive controls to get the best efficiency out of it though, so factor that in. You need about another £160 for the Comfort+ II RF or £210ish for the Easycontrol RF.

The Vaillant 838 is a bit of a dinosaur now, been on the market for years. It bottoms out at a ridiculously high 7.1kW which is far too much for most houses; if you want a high powered Vaillant combi then the Exclusive Green iQ 835 / 843 is the one to go for. Again though, expensive manufacturer controls required to get the best out of it so add another £200-ish for that.

Ideal, isn't. Bottom end 5.7kW and very little adjustment available to match it to the system it's fitted to, and very plasticky inside. It is OpenTherm compatible though, so it's got that going for it.

Navien NCB700-42C is what I'd go for if you do want/need a 40+kW combi. Stainless heat exchanger, 12 year warranty, OpenTherm controls compatible, very configurable to the system and minimum output of 3.5kW will keep it efficient for more of the year. Also the cheapest of the lot, which is nice - £1380 inc VAT at the moment. A decent OpenTherm control, which will help to get the very best efficiency out of OpenTherm compatible boilers, can be picked up for around £55.

Vokera Unica Max 40 is also worth a look. Large bore stainless heat exchanger, 10 year warranty, OpenTherm compatible with good weather compensation options too, system configurable and a minimum output of 4.7kW. Even cheaper than the Navien at £1260 at Toolstation.

Of the three I'd probably hold my nose and go for the Worcester as it's got the best modulation - it'll go down to 3.5kW which keeps it efficient for more of the year. You need to use WB's expensive controls to get the best efficiency out of it though, so factor that in. You need about another £160 for the Comfort+ II RF or £210ish for the Easycontrol RF.

The Vaillant 838 is a bit of a dinosaur now, been on the market for years. It bottoms out at a ridiculously high 7.1kW which is far too much for most houses; if you want a high powered Vaillant combi then the Exclusive Green iQ 835 / 843 is the one to go for. Again though, expensive manufacturer controls required to get the best out of it so add another £200-ish for that.

Ideal, isn't. Bottom end 5.7kW and very little adjustment available to match it to the system it's fitted to, and very plasticky inside. It is OpenTherm compatible though, so it's got that going for it.

Navien NCB700-42C is what I'd go for if you do want/need a 40+kW combi. Stainless heat exchanger, 12 year warranty, OpenTherm controls compatible, very configurable to the system and minimum output of 3.5kW will keep it efficient for more of the year. Also the cheapest of the lot, which is nice - £1380 inc VAT at the moment. A decent OpenTherm control, which will help to get the very best efficiency out of OpenTherm compatible boilers, can be picked up for around £55.

Vokera Unica Max 40 is also worth a look. Large bore stainless heat exchanger, 10 year warranty, OpenTherm compatible with good weather compensation options too, system configurable and a minimum output of 4.7kW. Even cheaper than the Navien at £1260 at Toolstation.
Oh don’t throw other options in the mix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back