Valliant or Worcester or Ideal

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason for that choice?
Boiler is offered with plenty cutting edge components

Heating can be on until the engineer comes to service the boiler. He can switch it off and access the burner as that area is designed not to get hot like other boilers.

Of the other two, Vogue has OT out of the box

Great clearances for service and repair.

10 year warranty with Max range.

Sponsored Links
So what do people know of Atag? Just had someone over tonight and they only install them and he said he would install an ATAG iC Economiser Plus. Never heard of them! Not got a price yet!

So what do people know of Atag? Just had someone over tonight and they only install them and he said he would install an ATAG iC Economiser Plus. Never heard of them! Not got a price yet!

That's the boiler I have at home.
Can't fault it really.
I have pressure Loss somewhere and have changed the pressure sensor. It's still occurring but it's not the boiler's fault.

Very good DHW output.

I'm a gas safe engineer BTW and install, service and repair boilers.

Of the three I'd probably hold my nose and go for the Worcester as it's got the best modulation - it'll go down to 3.5kW which keeps it efficient for more of the year. You need to use WB's expensive controls to get the best efficiency out of it though, so factor that in. You need about another £160 for the Comfort+ II RF or £210ish for the Easycontrol RF.

The Vaillant 838 is a bit of a dinosaur now, been on the market for years. It bottoms out at a ridiculously high 7.1kW which is far too much for most houses; if you want a high powered Vaillant combi then the Exclusive Green iQ 835 / 843 is the one to go for. Again though, expensive manufacturer controls required to get the best out of it so add another £200-ish for that.

Ideal, isn't. Bottom end 5.7kW and very little adjustment available to match it to the system it's fitted to, and very plasticky inside. It is OpenTherm compatible though, so it's got that going for it.

Navien NCB700-42C is what I'd go for if you do want/need a 40+kW combi. Stainless heat exchanger, 12 year warranty, OpenTherm controls compatible, very configurable to the system and minimum output of 3.5kW will keep it efficient for more of the year. Also the cheapest of the lot, which is nice - £1380 inc VAT at the moment. A decent OpenTherm control, which will help to get the very best efficiency out of OpenTherm compatible boilers, can be picked up for around £55.

Vokera Unica Max 40 is also worth a look. Large bore stainless heat exchanger, 10 year warranty, OpenTherm compatible with good weather compensation options too, system configurable and a minimum output of 4.7kW. Even cheaper than the Navien at £1260 at Toolstation.
Looks like we are going for the Worcester. What advantage does the Easy Control give? Do you have much experience with it and will it be worth changing from my Hive?
Thanks Simon

EasyControl will modulate the boiler & adjust the flow temperature to suit the target room temperature, in the same way that and OpenTherm stat does on an OT-capable boiler. This will encourage the boiler to stay in condensing temperature ranges far more of the time, giving you much greater efficiency. Hive is just an on-off switch with an Internet connection, zero intelligence and fixed flow temperature

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back