Van sizes.. LWB/MWB/SWB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are any of these a good guide as to how much you can fit in the back? Essentially i just need to fit 8x4 sheet materials in so which wheel base would manage that or does it entirely depend on the particular vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Van manufacturers usually list the load bases sizes on their websites

Have you had a look at that?

Check out MWB vans - Transit, Vivaro, Toyota, Nissan, Citroen.....
The SWB vans like the Berlingo won't do it, and the Sprinter size vans are simply huge.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The vast majority of loads consist of smaller items in quantity. High bodied vans are useless unless you intend to carry tall items & they create wind resistance which has a detrimental effect on both performance & fuel consumption.
My choice would be standard height van with a long load bed & side opening door.

Just take an 8 x 4 sheet with you down to your local van centre......

cut it into smaller bits and it will fit in the back of the car, then lay them out in the van he's looking at. :)

lol i avoided it in the end as half the chipppies i've spoken to with vans have had them cleaned out/robbed so opted to manage with a car/large boot. I'm not running my own business so don't really need to move sheet materials around anyway.

Estate car, as a compromise … though your tools are on show unless the car has a load area cover.
My daily is an old 5 series saloon, massive boot & the lid opens to the vertical position.

I did consider the estate but as yuo say it's exposed. I can put the seats down at need in this Focus to get whatever i need to site for an initial trip then for day to day the normal boot is enough and hidden by the tray. Can even get the hinge jig and long level in down the side of the seats.

Often carried 8x4 in the berlingo - you need a dry day and it sticks out the back a bit, but it does go in. You get a good dose of fumes with the back door open too, but thats a bad thing these days.

Thought about a roof-rack ? I can legally carry three sheets of plasterboard, though have to put a couple of battens lengthwise to prevent flex and breaking.

Sponsored Links
Back