varnishing a cot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

With my wife expecting our first in August - I have been tasked with turning our spare room into a nursery.

We have bought a second hand cot that has a few chips and scrapes on it and I want to sand it down and re-varnish it before I assemble it.

Does anyone know if I need to use a special child safe varnish or will any varnish do? The cot has a teething rail which suggests to me that infants make a habit of chewing their cots.

any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Rich

Sponsored Links
You cannot use any varnish. a lot of them are oil based and as such would be unsuitable to babies cots. There are nursery paints available. A water based one would be needed (Acrylic) :D

The best product you can use mate is Johnstones quick dry Polyurethane varnish, its available in a satin or gloss finish, and is perfectly safe for the nippa.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back