Varnishing / Protecting Bare Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to protect the exposed floor boards in our house. The original floor boards have been exposed for about 4 years, and the people here before us didn't protect them at all. As a result there are a few minor scuff marks.

I am going to sand the floors this weekend (there is only need to take off the first layer), and then I need to protect them with some form of hard wearing, resistant varnish. I don't want anything shiny, and the varnish needs to be clear, as the floor boards are a lovely colour as they are.

Any suggestions on products, and their cost?

Ta,

Olly

Sponsored Links
Anyone please?

Also, once the floors have been sanded I have read that you should clean the floor with white spirit and rub it lightly with wire wool.

Is this good practice?

Thanks

Not really.
Sanding, proper sanding that is, gets rid of all dirt, grease etc. Vacuum clean well after sanding (each time).
A non-shiny finish could be HardWaxOil, but with pine floors, I think you have pine floors, there's always the 'risk' of the boards turning orange when applying a clear natural finish

Thanks mate.

I think the floors are pine.

Looking around the only product that looks suitable is Ronseals Diamond Hard Floor Varnish - Clear Matt. It's very expensive though at around £60 for 5 litres.

Where would I find this HardWax Oil? And is there anything cheaper, but just as good as the Ronseal Stuff?

Sponsored Links
we're oil people ourselves, but the price sounds reasonable for ronseal compared to other products. Remember: quality comes with a price.

Thanks. You'll be able to answer this then. What is the major difference between using a wax oil and a varnish then? Why would I use a wax oil instead of a varnish product?

Thanks

That's excellent mate. Really helpful. I'll have to make a decision before the weekend.

Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back