Vauxhall Corsa Clutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
just wondering if you fine people could give some advice.
my partner elderly aunts car has completely broke down. went to have a look (as do most other stuff around her house) and could not get her car into any gear. Clutch completely broke! The clutch itself only comes up about half way?
anyhow, had a look inside bonnet and saw that the clutch cable / mechanism has sllipped / broke, as you can see a very clean part of the cable that obviously has always been within the cable shroud, but has now come out.
so, only thought is that the pressure plate has broke and therefore not returning the cable? (I am guessing here as not sure?)
Anyhow, done a little searching whilst at work (shhh, dont tell the boss) and have found a photo that I thought I could stick on here to give a little insight? (please note, this is not the actual car, just a photo from elsehwere to try and help explain.)
anyhow, any advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
That part of the cable is shiny because it slides in and out of its outer sheath when the clutch pedal is pressed.
If you suspect a broken cable, pull the clutch arm towards the front of the car....the cable will follow it if its broken.
The problem could just be the friction plate stuck to the flywheel......put the car in gear, press the clutch pedal and turn the starter on the key for a second. Often they come free this way. The car will jump, so careful!
John :)

Thanks John,
I just would of thought that if this position was the "normal" position then the cable would still be dirty, after all it is not sliding through bushes or anything to clean the dirt off? and it woudl sepnd most of its life in this position?
Anyhow, thanks for your input, I tried pulling and pushing the clutch arm towards the front of the car and couldn't budge it, by pressing the clutch pedal in and out the arm does move, therefore I don't suspect the clutch cable to be broke.
I just cant understand why the clutch pedal does not come fully up any more, hence why i thought the pressure plate might of been broke?
Still, I can try your suggestion but I gather if this is the case then it would probably need the clutch plate replaced anyhow so may buy one and then strip it down and replace.

Sponsored Links
Every time you press the clutch, the inner slides into the outer, wiping it clean - hence the shiny bit.
If there isn't any joy with my little idea, then yes the clutch will have to come out. Its best to replace the pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing as a set.
John :)

Back