veg oil as a fuel? really?

darren8512 said:
If you could get used oil for free and filter it, at 47p would be well worth it.

im actually lookin into this a lot more now. youd still use some diesel (mixed with oil) for startup until the engine is warm, but thats it. shame my car is newer and possibly a bit harder to modify (+ its still under warranty)

a cat converter hides the smell, so mine smells normal

aslong as you have a bosch pump you should be OK, but dont quote me on that

Sponsored Links
The cat must help hide the smell
I will is how goes, here are some sites that might be useful.
www.bio-power.co.uk/wvo.htm
www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/vegoil/htm
www.survivethefuture.net/veg%-oil.htm
There are a lot more .
The lucas pump might be ok if you keep the percentage of diesel up to keep it thin, it might be ok with some form of pre-heat mine has
a electric heater but the peugeot have a one heated by the coolant.
But all the write up say the bosch handles it the Merc engine pre 1986
has a good report.

some modern engines can only cope with a 5% mix, otherwise you can confuse the computer, apparently, the other thing with older engines is if the seals are natural rubber, they can wear faster, synthetic stuff is ok

Sponsored Links
timtheenchanter said:
some modern engines can only cope with a 5% mix, otherwise you can confuse the computer, apparently, the other thing with older engines is if the seals are natural rubber, they can wear faster, synthetic stuff is ok

mine runs with no difference at 50/50....

and 5% is the recommended mix of biodiesel (which can be a direct replacement, to diesel. unlike veggie oil where it sometimes needs heated and started from diesel)

Can anyone tell me if Biodiesel, smells like a chip pan, like straight unused veg oil does. Does prossesing remove the smell. It Might be worth the set up fee. Just to blend in with the rest.

Andy, how many miles have you driven with veggie oil? Have you tried any biodiesel?

darren8512 said:
Can anyone tell me if Biodiesel, smells like a chip pan, like straight unused veg oil does. Does prossesing remove the smell. It Might be worth the set up fee. Just to blend in with the rest.

not sure. go buy a car with a cat converter. hides best part of the smell.

chrisray said:
Andy, how many miles have you driven with veggie oil? Have you tried any biodiesel?

about 3500, mixed (usually) mixed 18:20 oil:diesel

havent tried biodiesel. altho in the last few weeks i aint had time to get veggie oil/add it, so its been 100% diesel for a few hundred miles. and absolutly no difference to power or anythin

Andy, have you notice any degrading of your fuel lines? Do you clean out your tank with anything? I've heard due to the bio-nature of veggie oil scum can build up within the fuel system and things can even start to grow. I know you can flush the system out to prevent this. Though your the first person I've found who hasn't worried trying veggie oil on a common rail engine without significant problems arising.

any one else noticed that veg oil seems to be always out of stock in tesco's morrison and sainsburys at the mo.
andy must be getting through hell of a lot.
I use veg oil occasionally, but havent been able to for a while as i cant get any.

chrisray said:
Andy, have you notice any degrading of your fuel lines? Do you clean out your tank with anything? I've heard due to the bio-nature of veggie oil scum can build up within the fuel system and things can even start to grow. I know you can flush the system out to prevent this. Though your the first person I've found who hasn't worried trying veggie oil on a common rail engine without significant problems arising.

tank is probably fairly clean anyway, since its only a year old. aint checked any of the lines or anything, and i really should check the fuel filter.

it works on common rail, just in some cases its been known to get the sensors confused

so far there has been no difference in performance, and when i had to use 100% diesel for a few tanks there was no difference either

dabaldie said:
any one else noticed that veg oil seems to be always out of stock in tesco's morrison and sainsburys at the mo.
andy must be getting through hell of a lot.
I use veg oil occasionally, but havent been able to for a while as i cant get any.

i bought asda out the of 3L bottles th other day...

Well, Isuppose it's a case of enjoy it while you can. A few more years and most of us will be off the road permanently as the fuel will be sooooo expensive.

Priced off the road .. whilst others, where Govn. taxation is low will probably remain.

Just as an example....
In Victoria, Oz, State average fuel prices at 2nd Feb 06
Per Litre
Diesel A$1.357 GB£ 0.567
U L P A$1.224 GB£ 0.519

LPG A$0.534 GB£ 0.226

Look at the LPG ... that is £1.027 PER GALLON.
We pay, if we can get it, around £0.43per L or £1.95 per gal, 90% more.
:(

reckon you could have a case against the government for breach of human rights?... i have a right to work where i want (within reason) and not be priced out of it.
I would use the bus.. if there was one.
I would use the train if it ran at times other than 2 hours before or after i start and finish work. and my boss wont let me change my working hours to 7am -3pm
I work 50 miles from where i live and have no option but to drive... cant walk and would take too long to ride my push bike.
No car share available,

I therefore pay tax on my wages, and then tax on my fuel to earn those wages. I am thus being taxed twice for the same thing.
I pay £60 a week in fuel effectively £90 a week if you allow for the income tax i pay on my salary to pay for my fuel.

dabaldie said:
reckon you could have a case against the government for breach of human rights?... i have a right to work where i want (within reason) and not be priced out of it.
I would use the bus.. if there was one.
I would use the train if it ran at times other than 2 hours before or after i start and finish work. and my boss wont let me change my working hours to 7am -3pm
I work 50 miles from where i live and have no option but to drive... cant walk and would take too long to ride my push bike.
No car share available,

I therefore pay tax on my wages, and then tax on my fuel to earn those wages. I am thus being taxed twice for the same thing.
I pay £60 a week in fuel effectively £90 a week if you allow for the income tax i pay on my salary to pay for my fuel.

get over it, it's going to get MUCH worse, and you will find it difficult to imagine HOW much worse. You wont have time for moaning then.

Sponsored Links
Back