vehicle ins (again)

so hopefully the poster is wrong...

can anyone clarify... if not taxed and off road that you do NOT need insurance...

maybe i will have to ask ryans solicitor.... :D

Read the articles/websites already linked to in this thread, read what they actually say (don't make stuff up that isn't in any of them) and you'll be fine. ;)

Sponsored Links
so hopefully the poster is wrong...

can anyone clarify... if not taxed and off road that you do NOT need insurance...

maybe i will have to ask ryans solicitor.... :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You're right, there is nothing to worry about (yet), geraint. ;)

God forbid libby actually getting a job and paying his way like the rest of us.

Sponsored Links
Still think it's very unfair Merlin. Let's say you owned a campervan, kept off the road for 6 or 7 months of the year. Technically you'd have to SORN it whilst off the road if it had no insurance. I can see plenty of campervan owners taxing their vehicles for 6 months at a time now and only insuring it for 6 months too.
Next thing the government will be doing is to make pedestrians have proper insurance for walking on the pavements. People in hospital will have to declare themselves unfit to walk just to cancel the insurance for a few weeks/months.
Wanna go swimming? Sorry, you'll need special water sports insurance. Golfers will need hole in one and wayward shot insurance.
In a few years time, they'll probably introduce a tax on the air we breathe (wonder if that will cost more for non smokers?) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There are some technical difficulties about SORN, VED and insurance though. A vehicle cannot be made SORN before the 5th day of the month for some reason, this could mean paying an extra month of VED if they will not accept your attempt to SORN before this strange date line.

As usual they have cocked it up somewhat. I have a vehicle that is off road for 6 months of the year but as it is always insured I only need to SORN when the VED reminder turns up or when I stop using it for the summer. Others that have multiple vehicles, like I used to, may not find it so easy.

The strange thing is it will do little to stop the kind of crime they are after anyway. A person only needs to sorn the vehicle to get the DVLA off their back and it's still down to the cops or the white elephant that is ANPR to actually catch them on the street. This new rule simply enforces more burden on the law abiding road user.

The only real way to stop uninsured vehicles is to have a third party scheme attached to the MOT or VED. Goverment tax rape of the insurance premium means it will never happen. I also have issue with the insurance business anyway. We all know it's a complete rip off as we currently have to insure each car we use, it would be far fairer to insure the driver to a value limit and allow him to drive anything in that limit......again the tax cash cow puts paid to that.

It's worth noting that any fines taken from SORN etc. are probably going to be kept by the DVLA and not put into government "coffers". The DVLA supposedly recieve very little government funding and were made self sufficient some time ago.

Motorcyclists have "Rider" policies whereby we can ride multiple bikes on the same policy. To include hired and owned by others, with permission of course.

Wups a daisy, no one is listening again.

I brought this up a while back, the second time they pushed through government was rejected?

Please read the first line, PROVE ME WRONG...FFS.

I telephoned the DVLA to clear this up. A new law has just been passed through parliament that has not yet been activated. However, I was advised that persons should act on it anyway to avoid being caught out.
If your vehicle is on private property and taxed it must now also be insured. Previously you could have a taxed car on your property without it getting sorned.

Now, if it is taxed you must return the tax disc for refund and SORN your vehicle until you wish to re-insure it.

Another quote
"Under a new law set to come into effect from 20 June, it will be an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle, rather than just to drive when uninsured.

The new system, called Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), will compare the DVLA registered keepers database with the Motor Insurance Database (MID) and contact uninsured drivers so that they obtain insurance by an escalating system of penalties.

Those caught will face a penalty of £100 – which can be reduced to £50 by early repayment but will only target drivers who have obeyed laws by registering their vehicles with the DVLA. Only vehicles with a valid Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) will not be required to be insured. "

Another
"CONTINUOUS INSURANCE ENFORCEMENT: WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOU

If your name is on the V5 registration document, YOU must arrange insurance for the vehicle in question, unless you have declared it SORN.

This is the case even if you do not use the vehicle. If you have a classic car tucked away in your garage, that is only insured and used for a few months in the summer, you still have to insure it all year round.

If you do not take out insurance for cars you have not declared SORN, you face prosecution and risk losing your car.

In the first instance, an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) will be issued, informing you there’s a risk of prosecution if you do not take out insurance.

Ignore this, and a £100 Fixed Penalty will be issued. If you still take no action, there is the risk of your car being clamped, so you cannot use it. Or, worse still, it could be sized and crushed.

The most serious penalty is court prosecution. Here, people who still refuse to take out insurance risk a court appearance and a fine of up to £1,000.

Registered keepers thus have two courses of action: either take out insurance, or declare a vehicle SORN."

Lastly GOV site
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

So there you have it, your right and wrong.
A SORN will allow the vehicle to be kept off road uninsured.
So now you can keep the traffic jam creator.

Dont forget the thank you button.

It's simple... :rolleyes:

Get your vehicle a sorn, keep it off the road and you don't need insurance or tax...

off the road means off the public highway, so that includes verges, footpaths, public car parks. i.e. on private property.

And in that context, there's not a lot wrong with the legislation.

off the road means off the public highway, so that includes verges, footpaths, public car parks. i.e. on private property.

And in that context, there's not a lot wrong with the legislation.

But here's what's completely wrong with this legislation. The words PRIVATE PROPERTY.
You have an accident in your insured car on private property, ie Asda or Tesco car park and try claiming through your insurance. The insurance company won't want to know. They'll turn round and say "The accident happened on private property, not on the public highway, we're not interested."

Happened to me some years ago. I was parked in Asda's car park and another driver reversed into my car door. Both of us had fully comp insurance so swapped details. I thought I'd at least get a new door. The insurance company were not interested in the least with the claim as it had happened on private property, and told me I'd have to take the other driver through civil proceedings to claim the cost of repairing my car. They would not pay out for anything.
So the question is, Why would you therefore need insurance for your car if it's on private property?
Perhaps now though someone having an accident on Tesco's car park will now be able to claim off their insurance.

Now, if it is taxed you must return the tax disc for refund and SORN your vehicle until you wish to re-insure it.

I'm not sure that is correct. The tax disc is irrelevant and I seriously doubt the DVLA will be knocking your door down to give you money if you forget to cash the tax.

Sponsored Links
Back