vehicle ins (again)

Wups a daisy, no one is listening again.

I brought this up a while back, the second time they pushed through government was rejected?

Please read the first line, PROVE ME WRONG...FFS.

which first line? of the orginal post? the one that is wrong? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Now, if it is taxed you must return the tax disc for refund and SORN your vehicle until you wish to re-insure it.

I'm not sure that is correct. The tax disc is irrelevant and I seriously doubt the DVLA will be knocking your door down to give you money if you forget to cash the tax.

Well thats the advice;must agree they are not going to rush to refund.
But if you do SORN you are due a pro-rata refund.

Sponsored Links
Verges, footpaths are not private property.
Like I said look it up.
Did enough research to clarify CIE for you lot ( no really dont thank me, was bored). Least you can do is check the validity of your own assumption.

Now, if it is taxed you must return the tax disc for refund and SORN your vehicle until you wish to re-insure it.

I'm not sure that is correct. The tax disc is irrelevant and I seriously doubt the DVLA will be knocking your door down to give you money if you forget to cash the tax.

only up to the next calendar month though hence the stupidity of a system that won't let you SORN for the first 5 days of the month.

Nickso, the system is designed to screw as much as they can from motorists. That's why you can't Sorn a motor for the first 5 days of the month if it still has a valid tax disc. ;) ;)
Robbing barstwewards.

oh I realise that JJ, we live in britain, the country of greed, laziness and ineffectual administration.

Rest assured when I become dictator for life there will be some changes. :LOL:

only up to the next calendar month though hence the stupidity of a system that won't let you SORN for the first 5 days of the month.

Agreed, another rip off.

It's simple... :rolleyes:

Get your vehicle a sorn, keep it off the road and you don't need insurance or tax...

off the road means off the public highway, so that includes verges, footpaths, public car parks. i.e. on private property.

Err go to DVLA and check that.

Your wrong.
Care to explain?
Verges, footpaths are not private property.
Like I said look it up.
Did enough research to clarify CIE for you lot ( no really dont thank me, was bored). Least you can do is check the validity of your own assumption.

For the pedants out there.
I'll repeat, in case some can't understand the written sentence:

off the road means off the public highway, so that includes verges, footpaths, public car parks. [sic,] in the definition of Public Highway.

You must be so bored that you misinterpret the sentence just for a bit of entertainment. ;)

As I said read the DVLA site, i`m only quoting them.

As your so incapable of doing so another quote from DVLA.

Using or keeping a vehicle on a public road

A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road. Contact your local authority if you have any doubt about an area where you want to park your vehicle. All vehicles that are used or kept on a public road must be taxed and must display a valid tax disc at all times.

See that bit about GRASS VERGES bit of a give qway isnt it.

As I said read the DVLA site, i`m only quoting them.

As your so incapable of doing so another quote from DVLA.

Using or keeping a vehicle on a public road

A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road. Contact your local authority if you have any doubt about an area where you want to park your vehicle. All vehicles that are used or kept on a public road must be taxed and must display a valid tax disc at all times.

See that bit about GRASS VERGES bit of a give qway isnt it.

I'm undecided. Should I call you a buffoon, or should I bang my head against a brick wall.
On reflection, I feel I've already been banging on without getting through!
I'll leave you to walk your uprighteous walk, thinking how clever you've been.

Actually re-reading your badly written sentence, I can see where the problem came from.

Perhaps being a little clearer next time would stop any confusion.

Keep up the work :D

One thing you should all realise, whatever action you take.

If you tax/insure your vehicle for ANY length of time and then SORN it after say, 1 month, your insurance will be classed as a short term insurance and you will have to pay a fortune in penalties.
Happened to my daughter last month. Taxrd her car for 12 months, insured it for 12 months then it blew a Head Gasket. She can't afford repairs for a while so SORN;ed it and put it up for sale. Cancelled the insurance and was told she would have to pay over £280 plus £75 administration charges as the policy had been converted to a short term one. Read the small print and it is there in black & white, buried amongst other clauses. Total cost including the month she paid for and the months deposit was £475. Cost of insurance for the year was just over £700. I asked about transferring the insurance if she got another vehicle and the anser, again in the small print, was no, thats not possible.
For anyone on a tight 'BUDGET' (hint, hint), stay away from the smaller companies or read ALL the small print and understand it before committing yourself to buying from them.

Conny, I found this out to my misfortune last year. My car had the water pump go on it. Only £60 odd for a new one, but almost £300 to have it fitted (involved taking the engine out) I'd had my insurance for almost 9 months when I cancelled the policy. Cost me another £60 on top of what I'd already paid, just to cancel the insurance.
What I don't get though, is the fact that the insurance company is actually lessening it's risk of me having an accident, yet penalise me for helping them out.
Robbing Bar stewards yet again.

It's about time the government looked at insurance companies and their never ending increases in car insurance. I've said before, the insurance people reckon uninsured drivers add £30 to insured drivers policies, yet they see fit to put mine up by £100 a year, yet I have increased no claims. Pathetic....

Sponsored Links
Back