VELUX window poor fit - with PICTURE / why ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone could offer an opinion to whats gone on with this window fitment ( apart from the fact its poor ! )

Its on a house that i'm looking at buying, so looking at whats involved to rectify it.

newwin2.jpg

Thanks

- although you cant quite see from the straight on photo, the tiles kick up a bit round the flashing foam, they dont sit flat.

Sponsored Links
On one I used to have the tiles weren't overlapping the ridge that comes up from the guttering at the side of the window, they were be just outside of that, whether or not that was correct I don't know but they didn't leak.

Might just be a simple case of trimming the tiles a bit more, as long as it's not leaking and structurally sound it's probably just a tidy up job. From memory it cost me around £600 to have 2 of those fitted from scratch including the cost of the windows but not the plastering, so not to expensive assuming no real issues.

LOL that has to be one of the best fitted roof lights Ive seen !!!

Is the window opening square inside the roof ? Or has the plastering followed the same line of the opening ?

If that hasn't leaked, its more than probably it would leak.

The flashing at the bottom is poorly fitted, not to mention the gaps along either side.

If the opening itself is square and its just the tiles that have been badly trimmed, then just replacing the tiles and refitting a new flashing kit isnt too much of a job.

Although, personally with that bodge, I would look at getting it refitted for peace of mind.

Thanks for replies,

the irony is the guy that put it in is a builder by trade.....

Dont know what fitting is like from the inside, and i'm sure this would leak too you can see two points which are outside of the window flashing gulleys !

- a question you guys might know, looking at the window flashing on the velux site there is like a sponge (looking) section thats a couple of inches larger than the window itself,

Now - is this meant to be trimmed in height, or do the roof tiles rest on this and naturally compress it ?

I ask since one of the faults look the tiles kick up because they are resting on this sponge part.

Looking further at my pics, i reckon the window is square but the roof tiles were original laid so that the overlaps were not exactly central hence giving the angle seen.

So really i guess a case of adding back tiles and cutting them at an angle to give a uniform gap ?

Agreed its not a major issue in buying a house, but it joins the list of other things that need sorting !

Sponsored Links
lol very poorly fitted rooflight by the looks of it it hasnt been fitted square in the roof and although you can use the edz flashing with plain tiles velux reccomend you use the edp flashing which is specifically for plain tiles

The window is square in the roof, The flashing used is an EDZ, which do work with plain tiles though these days EDP is usually used.
Corrective works will simply need abutting tiles to be cut in their correct line. an hours work.

If you are intending to buy this house and the seller is a builder.

THEN GET A SINGING AND DANCING SURVEY. CHECK EVERYTHING!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back