Verbal Guarantees - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber offered me (verbally) a 5yr parts and labour guarantee on his preferred boiler, which wasn’t the type I had planned to go for.
Having almost completed the installation, including radiators, his work has been less than satisfactory and one or two heated exchanges have ensued. I’m now quite concerned about this verbal guarantee. Is a verbal guarantee standard practice or should it be written down.
Any constructive advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Have you paid him yet? If not then ask for the 5 year guarantee on paper.

If you find any faults with his work then these should be pointed out to him for him to correct. Please post pictures.

I do hope that you are not a customers from hell, they are quite common.

Looking forward to see the pictures.

Andy

Oh I hope I’m not a customer from hell! All I want is a professional job and what I paid for. I’ve got to be a bit careful just now as the jobs not finished yet and I don’t know whose watching. I’m not a plumber but do understand the principles and know when the wool’s being pulled, which he’s tried a couple of times. One of his short cuts would invalidate the boiler guarantee if the supplier was to find out.
I have retained about 10% of his bill until everything’s complete

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it ?? there are 5 year (plus ?)warranty from some manufacturers on some boilers ? (or so they say ?)

Worcestor , Ideal , Biasi , sime , Alpha , Lamborgini , (for example) this would be past on to you via the manus paper work that comes with the boiler ??

I have retained about 10% of his bill until everything’s complete

That seems unusual to me for a start, AFAIK most guys don't expect any payment at all until the work is completed, certainly none of the companies I've worked for have requested payment until completion (unless it's a job that lasts for many weeks/months, in which case stage payments are expected)

As for a verbal warranty, or indeed a verbal contract of any kind, it's worth precisely b*gger-all I'm afraid

Verbal contracts / or agreements ect are a difficult area , but none the less are & can be legally enforcable providing they were not made in a pub ! & can be proved eg witnesses ect

All boilers will come with a guarantee , established at the time of purchase !

Verbal contracts / or agreements ect are a difficult area , but none the less are & can be legally enforcable providing they were not made in a pub ! & can be proved eg witnesses ect

as long as the bm is filled in and the fitter is reg :eek:

as long as the bm is filled in and the fitter is reg :eek:

Agreed :oops:

Thanks for your input everyone and here’s some further feedback following your comments. :D

* The boiler normally comes with a 2yr manufacturer’s warranty.

* The plumber is subcontracted by my builder and will invoice him at the end of the job. I have paid the builder all of his money as he has completed the work to my complete satisfaction and that of the building inspector. However I have retained 10% of the plumbers bill (worth several hundred £) until the final couple of plumbing items left are complete.

* I will get the plumber to complete the boiler bench mark documents and ask him to provide the builder with his guarantee details on his final invoice and get a copy from the builder.

Keep us posted, it'll be interesting to see where this one ends up!

* The plumber is subcontracted by my builder and will invoice him at the end of the job. I have paid the builder all of his money as he has completed the work to my complete satisfaction and that of the building inspector. However I have retained 10% of the plumbers bill (worth several hundred £) until the final couple of plumbing items left are complete.

Your contract is with the builder then and all your negotiations should be via him. I would say his work is not to your satisfaction as one of his employees isn't doing what you require in some way. If you get on OK with the builder this may help or not as he may be friendlier with the plumber than with you.

That seems unusual to me for a start, AFAIK most guys don't expect any payment at all until the work is completed, certainly none of the companies I've worked for have requested payment until completion

I always take a 50% deposit on delivery of the materials to site, on day one of the job! Too many professional non-payers in the SE. If I get knocked it is only the labour I have lost.

All this B****cks about not paying money up front p*****s me off :evil:
Sainsburys want their money for their goods delivered - they will refund if faulty or unsatisfactory -but no money no goods.

Why beg for work? "I've been really, really good, can I have some food please... pretty please!!!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back