Veritas R8 problem after blackout

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hello everybody,

this afternoon we had a short blackout in my building (a neighbour disconnected everybody's mains for like 2 minutes while having some work done in his apartment...).

During this period my bell went off, this never happened before when the R8 was not connected to the mains. Panel battery problem? the alarm is 2 years old and so is the battery.

Furthermore now (after the blackout was over) when I set the alarm it beeps for 20 seconds... and i cannot reduce it with the set exit time timer.

Can anybody help?

thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Update: from time to time it does a short doo-dooo sound like when it's running on batteries and the panel only led (green) blinks.

Power down battery and mains , restart mains only , does battery feel warm ? If so probably faulty ...possible faulty battery or mains spike

Thanks Sparkymarka,

what is interesting is that if I disconnect the mains from the panel the external bell start ringing. Does that bring any more insight?

Sponsored Links
Faulty panel battery, as per - "....................if I disconnect the mains from the panel the external bell start ringing"

This seems logic also to me, what puzzles me is that it started after the short blackout. Doesn't a battery die over a longer period?

Could it not be something on the panel circuit?

Sorry, I am not ignoring, I thank you for your answer. I am just thinking... before buying a new battery I was analyzing more options.

So you think the battery died with the 2-minutes blackout? Before the blackout I did not have the recurring doo-doo sound.

Sorry to have been so long in getting back to you, there was a minor emergency at my daughter's.

And as usual, only dad could help out. :rolleyes:

The Yuasa battery could almost be called the industry standard over here

Last edited:
I ordered the battery this afternoon, will be here by wednesday.

In the meantime I opened the panel: the battery has a small crack on the side! :(
Btw the voltage is around 6... i wonder if the blackout broke phisically the battery.

Thanks everybody, this is the most useful forum in earth!

I'd say the battery is getting very old, therefor it has started to dry out.

Alarm batts. should be replaced every 4 to 5 years or sooner if proved to be faulty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back