Very high energy usage - advice appreciated

Is there an HDD box running? What sort of cameras? I have 3 cameras powered by USB cables, so unlikely drawing much juice, but I guess others might be very different
HDD box running with a psu. 4 cameras and a mic, another 5 PSUs. These were all installed next door too but interested to investigate more. Wife already defensive as I've just mentioned this to her, FML.

Smart plug with energy monitoring and a £££ display will provide aot of answers.

Sponsored Links
The Owl things are OK, definitely better than nothing (they're not 100% accurate, they do well on tungsten lightbulbs, ovens and immersion heaters, less well on fridge/freezer pumps and switch mode power supplies. Dunno how much they are now (bought mine about 20 years ago on a special offer from CPC)...
What is an Owl thing?

My next step is to buy an energy monitor that will be compatible with my meter and has an in home display that will show £££ and pence. I could then spend a day watching usage in real time as I turn things off and on. Could anyone advise on an energy monitor that I can fit myself, if possible?

Better might be a plug in monitor to check individual appliances, your Smart Meter should already have been supplied with an Indoor Display which will be better than an energy monitor for the whole house.

Also, could there be a fault with some of the electrics that is drawing electricity at such a rate? I'm getting to be at a loss as to how my usage is so high, especially with April fast approaching.

A wiring fault> Very unlikely. Something on which you are not aware of, possibly.

Ours is around 1/2 to 1/3 of yours and I am home all day, most days. Sub 50Kw per week. Gas heated and HW, 3-bed semi, two of us, I have probably more gadgets running 24/7, but all regular use lights are now all LED, we only have lights on in occupied rooms, otherwise they are turned off. I began the swap to LED, beginning with the most used lamps, as that would have most effect. Gas hob, double gas oven.

Sponsored Links
I've never used a plug power monitor, so can't recommend any, but plenty on Amazon
Why not buy one with good reviews, and start with the outdoor freezer. Then check other freezer and fridge, then plug all the CCTV in to it.
And then your son's stuff.

Do each for 24 hours and you should have a good idea of where the power is going. If nothing is amiss, get an electrician round to check the boiler wiring, or at least check there are no cables in the loft going off to some unknown location ...

much easier for my wife to say hay google broadcast dinner is ready than for her to climb stairs and walk into room to tell me. Some times google does change the wording as says "come and get it" big brother is watching 1984 etc.

Wouldn't a dinner gong be more effective?

You do need to be aware of your background load- the stuff that is on all the time either because it has to be (CCTV, broadband modem, Sky+ / Freeview +/any other sort of PVR, fridge, freezer) and the stuff that is on all the time cos we're lazy (TV, stereo, computer, laptop, computer monitor on standby, phone chargers left plugged in- some installed USB sockets probably draw continually, some have a hard off when there's no cable inserted). Every 1 watt (that's 1 volt at 1 amp) of background 24/7 load costs you 8.7 units per year- so about £1 on my current tariff. Some stuff I accept the pain and move on, some stuff I ditch.

They frequently crop up on Ebay. I prefer the model with a USB connector on the side, you can plug it into your PC and it will store data and produce graphs.

Some of the ones on Ebay look the same but do not have the USB socket

Last edited:
Good to know there's nothing in the wiring, had a worry about that. It's starting to look like it's our usage somehow.

Can anyone recommend a good energy monitor with in home display?

Or an energy monitor smartplug that reads the energy of anything plugged in?

Just buy a used one to go with your existing Smart Meter and re-pair it to your system, or borrow one from a neighbour. Most of them end up in the back of a cupboard unused.

I've never used a plug power monitor, so can't recommend any, but plenty on Amazon
Why not buy one with good reviews, and start with the outdoor freezer. Then check other freezer and fridge, then plug all the CCTV in to it.
And then your son's stuff.

Do each for 24 hours and you should have a good idea of where the power is going. If nothing is amiss, get an electrician round to check the boiler wiring, or at least check there are no cables in the loft going off to some unknown location ...

Better to start with a large sheet of paper to make a list, of every item on each circuit in the consumer unit, then measure what is consumed by each circuit for anomalies.

The Owl things are OK, definitely better than nothing (they're not 100% accurate, they do well on tungsten lightbulbs, ovens and immersion heaters, less well on fridge/freezer pumps and switch mode power supplies. Dunno how much they are now (bought mine about 20 years ago on a special offer from CPC)...
Time for me to wheel out the graphs below again! Once they are properly configured, the "Owl things" are surprisingly accurate for the monitoring of whole-installation usage over appreciable periods of time (anything from a day or two up to 'years').

The below graphs show (separately for 'day' and 'night' usage) the comparison between my Owl and the supplier's meter over the pst 5+ years. As you can see, over those 5+ years there has only been a handful of kWh difference, out of a total (day + night) usage of around 40,000 kWh. That's plenty good enough for me!

upload_2022-2-7_16-55-0.png

upload_2022-2-7_16-55-34.png

Kind Regards, John

These were all installed next door too but interested to investigate more.

If the cameras are the usual domestic grade type, the IR LED's will only switch on after dark and likely not more than a couple of watts each. IR flood lights will be as much as 50w.

The Owl thing or some thing similar were given away free by Scottish Power before the smart meter thing started, they connected with the internet and idea was Scottish Power used the info to give more accurate bills than simple estimated and with mine over the year around £10 out. And to be frank that was close enough, the yearly reading corrected any errors due to internet dropping out.

It had a current transformer which went on the meter tails with a small battery, and a mains powered display which went in the house, also some remote switches for sockets came with it.

However to measure less than 10 watt it was useless, it did have a log display so could see some thing switched on if general use was low, but the simple plug in energy monitor upload_2022-2-7_17-35-25.png worked far better. Borrowed my daughters, liked it so bought my own. I then bought the Energenie one upload_2022-2-7_17-37-56.png which actually tells one less, but since computer linked you can see when the power was used, I have used it for all sorts including checking if the heater on my home brew was keeping up beer.jpg if it switches off then keeping the temperature high enough. Also used it to see when battery has fully recharged.

However I regard it as a toy, it saves me walking into the flat under the house to check on things, but it does not save electric, as said the non computer one did show when freezer was faulty, but most things have the power used written on the outside.

I would have liked to compare the halogen hob to induction hob, but since they don't plug in, not really possible, the computer does show average use better than stand alone, it rounds off the corners, this beer.jpg should have been a square wave really, but with electric heating as you say you have, if curtains are closed so inferred can not leave the house, does not really matter if heat coming from TV or heating system you can't destroy energy.

The below graphs show (separately for 'day' and 'night' usage) the comparison between my Owl and the supplier's meter over the pst 5+ years. As you can see, over those 5+ years there has only been a handful of kWh difference, out of a total (day + night) usage of around 40,000 kWh. That's plenty good enough for me! ...
It occurs to be that some people may think that very-long-term performance may not fairly represent the accuracy of the Owl on a day-to-day basis. The below is therefore just the first four weeks of the 5-year period I illustrated in the previous ~5-year graph ..

upload_2022-2-7_18-29-33.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back