vibration in the pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably not a new topic but I can't find exactly what I want elsewhere on the site. I've drained the cold water tank to fit a new bath tap and when I've turned the water back on i get a vibration from the pipes, it stops when i run a cold tap in the downstairs loo or flush a toilet. I've now drained the cold tank several times and then filled it up again but the vibration still comes back, sometimes in the same place sometimes in different places around the house. I'm assuming its some sort of airlock. My Mrs want to call in a plumber but I'm not wanting to fork out £X00 for something that may be simple to fix. Help me please! :oops:

Sponsored Links
sometimes in the same place sometimes in different places around the house. ! :oops:
Water Hammer , not an airlock. Loads about it here ;) different places cuz it`s the mains water pipe that runs thru` the house Good Luck

Did you turn the main stopcock off.

Could be you turned it on more than before or the washers come loose.

yep I opened the mains all the way. It was only on about 3/4 originally before I changed the tap.

Sponsored Links
Turn it off tight, then open it up a few turns to see if it makes any difference.

I've just been up in the loft and pushed the ballcock down in the cold water tank, the noise is coming from there and moving down through the pipes. I take it I'll need a new ballcock valve unit. It seems easy enough to remove and refit these. I'm a bit of a push bike mechanic so I have the tools. Is this what I should do? cheers

First thing you have to do is determine whether the noise comes from a mains pipe, or a tank fed pipe.

I had a persistent problem with this that wasn't cured by changing the washer, nozzle or valve. Eventually I resorted to a trick I saw in some DIY book in the 70's. Make up a baffle from a 3" disk of plastic that's denser than water and attach it with some rot-proof string to the end of the valve arm behind the float. Stops the float bouncing and causing weird noises. It's worked a treat for me.
56000_55605_14295_22055806_thumb.jpg

I've heard of something similar using a yoghurt pot and some garden wire. I might just try that before i end up ta Scewfix

It seems to be working ok, the first time i flushed it vibrated a bit but now it seems to have settled down, I've just saved myself a trip to screwfix. (hopefully). Thanks everyone :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back