Victorian terrace raised ground floor flat rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new to the site. I wonder if anyone can help with the following. I'm interested in buying a raised ground floor flat in South Wimbledon. Its a three story Victorian terrace and the flat i'm considering buying is the raised ground floor - there's a basement flat below and obviously a first floor flat above. The raised ground floor flat isn't the biggest at 445 sq ft but I noticed that next door have added an extension to the back of their raised ground floor kitchen..which would make a real difference to the overall size.

The raised ground floor flat owns the rear garden and there are iron steps down to the garden level from the kitchen door. My question is this: Would I be allowed to add a rear extension (probably 3m x 3m) at raised ground floor level, building on the garden that is owned by the flat BUT it would mean building supporting walls under the new extension against what is technically the rear wall belonging to the basement flat. BUT the basement flat doesn't have any doors or windows opening onto 'my' garden. I hope you can visualise. If anyone is kind enough to offer advice I can email a floor plan. Thanks in advance. John

Sponsored Links
If there are no doors or windows then it sounds plausible subject to getting planning permission, party wall agreements agreed and the permission of the lease holders, building regulations approval and all that all of that entails! :p

how does the owner of the ground floor flat access the rear garden that they own?

I am a bit confused on this point?

Just proves don't make a Coffee half way through a reply to a post

Please ignore this post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back