Viessmann boilers + Can I do all the work apart from the gas

N

nrgizerbunny

Hi

I am a newbie to this forum so please be gentle :LOL:

Here's my current system:

My current boiler is a glow worm conventional - probably about 20 years old! It has a central heating expansion tank but no header tank for the cold water. The system is using a pressurised tank with a pressure vessel made by santon.

at the moment, my boiler is on the blink and the gas board have been out 6 times within the past few months to replace a wide variety of parts and i think its about time I got a new boiler.

I would really like a Viessmann boiler and being an engineer I am more than happy to install it. here's my questions:

1. Is it okay to plumb in the water and electrics and then get a registered corgi installer to connect the gas up? or am I flouting part P?

2. Will the vitodens 300 work with a pressurized hot water system?

3. Will British Gas give me heating cover on a Viessmann boiler? they seem awfully keen to sell their own brand of boilers and I have phoned them up 5 times and they have never gotten back to me.

Thanks in Adavance

Have a nice day

Sanj

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
well aye lash it in and the electric s*d part p
do the gas yourself s*d the i &u regs and corgi

what's the problem :rolleyes:

buying the boiler might be a problem, Viessmann only sell to engineers that are on their books.

Saying that they were bringing out an off the shelf model

nrgizerbunny find yourself a friendly corgi reg plumber and ask him if he will check everything over for you once you have flushed the system, fixed the boiler to the wall and connected the water side,i did and saved myself over £400 after buying all the parts,power flushing and chemicles on what i had been quoted and he got a nice drink out of it

Sponsored Links
Depends what you plan for the future. Do you wnat to stay in the house for a long time, or might you sell it in a few years time? If you want to sell it you might find yourself short of paperwork. You could do it properly, ie send your proposals to building control and get them to sign the paperwork when it's finished. A CORGI bloke is NOT within his remit if he signs the paperwork for installation. He can tell you if it's OK, or not, but YOU installed it, not him, and the only people who can sign for someone elses install is building control. So either do what kev says, or do it properly.

KevPlumb

This is no disrespect to all the decent plumbers out there but I personally think the current status of regulation is a joke. Because I am not corgi registered I find myself unable to stick a gas boiler onto a wall and solder up the pipes. However for a living I am an aeronautical engineer who regularly solders the fuel lines on aircraft, the civial aviation authority does not find fault with my work (they check each one) I don't see why Corgi registration is mandatory. Does that make me incompetent, well I don't think so but the government thinks I am.

DoItall,

I had a look on burnleyplumbing and they are selling the Vitodens off the shelf?!

Muckylugs,

I am still on the lookout, the cheapest quote I've had so far is £500, for half a days work it makes me sick :confused:

Oilman,

I appreciate what you say and will definitely think about this.

thanks

Why not doitall yourself.

You are allowed to in your own home, if you are competent.

nrgizerbunny it took me 2 days to install my boiler one day to power flush the system and an other to redo all the water pipework as i moved the new boiler on to a different wall. My corgi plumber then checked all i had done, which he was happy with,then fitted 6mts of 22mm gas pipe as i had 15 to the old boiler,commissioned the new boiler and signed of the benchmark.
I see no reason why plumbers have a problem with this if they are happy with your work and they do the gas side (if they are not then they could either change it at a cost or not sign the benchmark)all they are signing of is the guarantee for the new boiler.

i know that the plumber takes resposability for the whole of the job but if he is happy with the quality of your work and earns a few bob in the process then whats the problem. If i have to call out the boiler manufacturer because the boiler fails under guarantee im not going to say anything

Let me put it this way according to the corgy regs, I am not allowed to install a boiler in my own home, because I'm only registered through the Company I work for.

Yeh !!!!! right try and stop me.

:LOL: :LOL:

doitall: pathetic isn't it, we are only competent when there is a middle man, I'm going for my indervidual corgi this year as I'm getting a little annoyed that I'm not corgi registered if I look at my mothers boiler.

Just an update,

I got the buildings controls guy out, told him I was going to change the boiler.

he said he would come back in a 3 days to check it after i had fitted it. In the mean time I left the gas switched firmly off.

he came back with a load of test gear and tested the boiler out for leaks emissions and to make sure i fitted the condensate pipe to building regs.

He also said i did a much better job than the majority of corgi registered plumbers out there. He went on to say that corgi registration means diddly squat which i find rather alarming

anyway thanks for all the replies

Above is mud in the eye for every hardworking heating engineer who strives to do a decent job to exacting standards, has to recap every five years, is burdened with red tape and be told a diyer can do better.

I trust the benchmark logbook has been completed and gas line is correctly sized

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back