Vigils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not meaning to dismiss the horror of what happened the other night, but can anyone suggest why people living in other countries have to hold vigils?

I've just seen pics of a few hundred people here in M/c holding a candle-lit vigil. Presumably they don't personally know anyone there, so what good does it do for the killed/injured and their relatives? Or is it just some form of mawkish self-centredness?

During the blitz, hundreds of people could be killed in a raid, yet there didn't seem to be any 'vigils' then. People just had to get on with it.

Sponsored Links
When i was at uni back in the 80's, we held an all night study in the library in support of the miners. The shock factor of students actually doing what we were meant to be doing anyway was awesome:sneaky:

Why do people in church pray for so and so? Why hold a vigil? Maybe it's to reassure themselves that normal people do not condone barbarism. I am cynical and reckon a lot of right on types go to marches and demos to make themselves feel good and look down on those they hate, even though it achieves nothing of substance. Or maybe they think they can change views? Not sure you can reason with Islamic Scum.

Sponsored Links
Not sure you can reason with Islamic Scum.
Members of this tribe must surely have had a miserable life. What other reason can they have if their sole purpose is to fight those who are happy with their lot with the suggested promise that things will be better once they are dead?

Not meaning to dismiss the horror of what happened the other night, but can anyone suggest why people living in other countries have to hold vigils?

I've just seen pics of a few hundred people here in M/c holding a candle-lit vigil. Presumably they don't personally know anyone there, so what good does it do for the killed/injured and their relatives? Or is it just some form of mawkish self-centredness?
I think it probably makes as much difference as praying! Still, if it makes some people feel better.

Praying for, or indeed preying upon the emotions of the stupid is well over half of the problem

Members of this tribe must surely have had a miserable life.
In my experience, they are the most miserable and unhappy people on God's earth.
They deny themselves many of life's pleasures: singing, music, humour, alcohol and attractive young ladies in miniskirts.
At the same time, they entertain themselves with paedophilia, beheading, lashing people and prostrating themselves seven times a day.

And then some perfectly normal white people decide they'd rather adopt the islamic way of life!

These poor nutters have been convinced that their lives are so worthless. Such a shame. I read that one of the loons was 20 years old.

Members of this tribe must surely have had a miserable life. What other reason can they have if their sole purpose is to fight those who are happy with their lot with the suggested promise that things will be better once they are dead?

They are usually if not always young, the older ones being the recruiters, and suppliers of suicide belts. The young are full of anger, naivity, idealism and are motivated to do something for a cause. They probably see IS as an idealised wonder land. Apparently when they get there, they are watched over, and murdered if they rebel having seen the reality. As for the nutters who kill people in France and Britain, they are probably losers, no education, suffer racism, feel marginalised, and look for a cause. The relatives of those who commit atrocities usually express astonishment. The white equivalent join extreme right wing groups such as the BNP, and Combat 18.

Sponsored Links
Back