Vinal Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have vinal paper on my kitchen wall, I want to decorate the kitchen without stripping paper off!!
Is there anything I can put on vinal so that waterbased paint will work

Sponsored Links
Its best to strip it but if you realy must paint over it then give it a coat of oil-based undercoat first, it might help 'seal' the paper & prevent lifting at the seams as well as give the emulsion a decent 'key' as vinyls a sod of a base for water-based paint! ;)

Gordon,

I have had to paint over vinyl paper before and considered everything. I thought about PVA first, stripping the vinyl coating off…. Everything.

In the end I bought a cheap roll and hung it on some board in the shed to test and you can paint straight on to it, but there are a couple of things to note.

Make sure it is clean. Vinyl paper tends to be textured and this collects a surprising amount of dust, so give it a good wash and let it dry.

It’ll take a good three coats depending on the paint to kill of any heavy pattern. Make sure each coat is properly dry according to the manufacturers recommendation to stop the second coat pulling off the first one.

The biggest risk is the wet paint leaching into the paper under the vinyl at the joints and casing problems. This never happened to me, but if you are in doubt it may be worth sealing the joints with some decorators caulk first.

Good luck

Therms

If you don't want to strip it off then don't do it at all. It's only a kitchen so not massive. Do it right and do it once.

Sponsored Links
Gordon,

Joe is of course right, the correct course of action is to strip the wall and do it properly. However, in the real world this is not always the right course of action and occasionally we find ourselves having to do a quick job.

This is the kitchen and as clean as you are there will be a lot of grime built up on the vinyl,. Never has preparation been more important than here. It is vital that you clean the walls properly with sugar-soap.

Mask off the cupboards and cover the work-surface and paint away. If it were me I’d spend money on a decent paint and a decent thin-nap roller.

If you buy cheap paint from a DIY store the greater water content will mean the paint wont dry quickly enough so allowing time to penetrate the seams and lift it (which may happen anyhow)
Still best to strip - the paper seams are always going to show through the finished paint-job :rolleyes:

strip the paper off first. you will regret it otherwise. it won't look good. it will probably be harder to strip off in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back