Vintage Black & Decker D820

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi! I'm repairing old B&D D820 two speed drill from 60's. It's gear, main axel, is broken. Does anybody know where I could find one?

Attachments

• B&D D820 II.jpg
    B&D D820 II.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Absolutely no idea -
a) where you would find one
b) why on earth anyone would want to waste time, money and effort in repairing it.

I inherited drill and other parts in that B&D toolset my father bought in 60's. I'd like to have it and show it in usable condition in my craft room. Btw I've got working drills and tools...
I've seen Ebay and several other sites this model with any luck, that's why I tried this forum.

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you for the link :giggle:, this seller doesn't send item abroad. I've no idea what those letters mean but I see that there is difference in amperes and watts on the labels.

Your D820 is more than 50 years old, so parts have long been unavailable. The D820 and the single speed D800 were replaced by the V8xx series around 1971, the main differences being the 3/8in chuck being replaced by a 1/2in Jacobs model, the motor being upgraded to to 400 watts and a nylon body (as opposed to an aluminium body with a nylon coating, although I may be wrong about that).

As said before, your best bet will be to look for an older 2-speed model with a pull out and flip tag type gearbox. This type of gearbox was used on the all-metal D420, D520 and D720 models from the mid- to late-1960s onwards (painted at various times all light grey, all gold, all blue, white gearbox/blue body and gold gearbox/brown body) as well as the later lt grey metal gearbox/orange plastic-bodied models (e.g. models D420, D520, D720, DNJ52 and DNJ62, etc). Avoid the later silver/teal and all plastic body models as the gearbox design did change later in the 1970s.

Personally I'd look for an orange/light grey model as they are later (1973 to 1978 or so) than the all metal models and the gearbox is compatible. You should be able to pick up a "worker" for £10 to £20, but if you can't find one PM me and I should be able to find you either a complete suitable gearbox or the contents of a compatible gearbox from my bits box (you'll need something like 10 posts to send and receive PMs). I know that I currently have a complete lt grey gearbox which came out of a GD-series (industrial) drill but which has been fitted onto a DNJ84. As it is the wrong gearbix it will be getting replaced shortly, by the correct type of gearbox (I already have this, it just needs cleaning, greasing and respraying)

Last edited by a moderator:
One here similar may use same parts, what do the D and V mean?
The D and V are model prefixes. After WWII B&D was building 240 volt tools in the UK which either just had model numbers or a model number prefixed by 'U' (for Utility, e.g U1, U11, U500, etc which were a drill, a jigsaw and another drill respectively). In the mid-1950s the UK end of B&D started prefixing DIY models with a 'D' (e.g D500) allegedly stands for 'domestic', although it could also stand for 'Denholme' in Middlesex where B&Ds design office was at the time. When B&D opened their new manufacturing and design facility in the North East, about 1984, the domestic models were prefixed 'DN', presumably for 'Domestic North' (e.g. DNJ52, DNJ70 - which were updates of the older models D520 and D500 respectively with plastic bodies replacing the metal ones). In the meantime from the late 1960s onwards B&D started to number/renumber their trade/industrial models with three prefixes - 'GD', 'HD' and 'SD', for 'General Duty', 'Heavy Duty' and 'Super Duty", each progressively heavy duty.

All this leaves the 'V'-prefix models, which were introduced in about 1972 as a top end DIY drill range, replacing the D800/D820/D850/D900 drills which had previously been the top of the range tools. AFAIK the models were mostly 400 watts with 2-speed gearboxes (models V820, V830, V840 and V850). The V830 was the first model with slide operated gear change. A couple of the models had variable speed (another almost first at the time), but you don't see many of those in working order, 1970s consumer electronics being what they are (unreliable with age)

@Jyrki do some more PMs (ten in total) then contact me. I'll look in my bits box tomorrow - if I have something suitable, all it will cost you is the postage. Will post some photos of the models to look for tomorrow

PS If you aren't in the UK, where are you?

@JobAndKnock I thank you for very good information of B&D. And I really appreciate if you can help me in this problem. Do you mean messages with PM?
I live in Norway, as far north on the continent you can reach. In Finnmark.

Yes, well, I can see that antique B&D parts may well be an issue. I had a look this morning and I have a couple of donor drills (gearboxes) which will fit. I'll strip them down later on to see what state the gears are in. The gearboxes themselves are quite heavy, so It should be a lot cheaper to just send the gears and thrust washers. I'll let you know what I've got later on

To contact me off line just click on my name at the top of a post and then on "Start Conversation". I think you'll need 10 posts for the feature to become active, but I might be wrong about that

Profile suggests Norway.
Thanks Harry. Most of the time at the moment I'm on a smartphone, and the app seems to preclude seeing some of the detail

It seems like I can use that feature already and take contact later. But I'll post here photos of that broken part later today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back