Anybod recognize this Black and Decker Professional drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I burnt out my approximately 25/6 year old Black and Decker professional combi drill the other day.
After so many years it had a right I guess. The field winding got a bit too hot and sparks flew.

Its otherwise in great working order, and one of the best I have ever had.

I dont want to get rid of it as it is such a good and compact drill.

My problem is I lost the identifying label on the side years ago and can't remember the model number.

P something or other.

Does anybody know it from the picture?

Its a 2 speed, all metal gearbox case, and ALL METAL gears as well. ---Variable speed and reverse, as well as hammer action.

I want to get a new field winding but without the model number I am lost.

I will buy a new drill, but finding one this good is not easy, and I dont wan't another cordless. The bats dont last even 5 years let alone 25.

Anybody recognize it?

IMG_9158.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the link.

My problem is without the model number I dont know which drill to look at.

I might have to go through everyone that starts with a P I suppose. :rolleyes:

That is seriously old skool. Are your sure its only 25 years old?

What is that funny looking chuck with some sort of gearing on it? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yup bought from RS Components at around 1986/7.

The serated black ring is the hammer action. You grip and twist it to engage or disengage it.

NEVER ever went wrong. Until now, and its only a field winding thats gone, so if I can get one the drill is good for a long time to come.

I dropped it once 30 feet from a scafold and it was barely marked.

Have you tried taking to a local tool repair shop to see if they can do anything with it?

All I need is a model number. The label fell of the side years ago.

I know how to fix it, I know what's wrong with it.

I just need an identification.

Does anybody recognize the model number or type?

I have something similar, although it is orange, could you post a pic of the other side, i'm wondering if they share any components....

if you look at the link i gave you its unlikely the part is still available and if it is it will be the price of a better drill

after spending the day dredging through my memory I think that its a p2270 or if its variable speed a p2271 ( 18 year old memories though so i cant be 100% sure)
Try getting in touch with the liverpool powertool centre - used to be the B&D service center so some of the staff may remember

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I checked out the p2270/1, and unfortunately its not the same. http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Black--Decker...pe-1-Drill-Spare-Parts__p-12707836-20778.aspx

The field winding looks the same shape, and is cheap enough, but without knowing its electrical spec, I cant match it. But I am CERTAIN, that my drill shared field windings with many other models and even manufacturers.

Replacement. I looked at new drills as soon as this packed up. Frankly, discounting cordless, there isn't a better drill on sale that has the same spec. -------- 2 speed, ALL steel gearbox, all metal gear casing, variable speed in each gear, reversable, and VERY good hammer action. AND compact. -----Used over 20 years on site, and never gave any trouble till now.

I have already looked at new cordeds, and cant find one that has ALL steel g/box/2 speed and compact.

But if you can find one and let me know I will take a look. But it seems that corded drills are being phased out judging by the relatively few models being made now. (Compared to cordless).

As for cost, I expect a field winding to cost less than 50 quid. What drill can you buy for that money, that will last long, if used to push a 1-1/2 spade bit through solid old oak countless numerous times, and still last over 20 years without stripping the gearbox. Let alone the thousands of holes I have drilled in concrete with oversized masonry bits. I've even used it as a core drill.

I honestly had know idea it was this good until I bought it and used it. I wish I had bought 2 at the time.

I dont want a cordless, as even if the drill is as good, 3 or 4 years from now I will have to throw it away because of battery supply. And anyway, I prefer corded, endless power. I have a cordless for when its convenient, but 9 out of 10 use my corded.

Here is a pic of the other side as requested, but it's the same, with the addition of the missing ID plate.

otherside.jpg

Thanks guys. And gals :LOL:

Hi,

I looked through the VERY comprehensive lists of b and d drills on the site link you sent me, and still not there.

Its beginning to make me suspicious.

It seems inconceivable that the drill is not listed.

I rang and spoke to B and D technical, and he talked about several companies that b/d took over. he mentioned one called elu or elv.

Anyway, I looked at the ELU lists and there are drills there that are MUCH closer in design then the b and d ones appear to be. But still not exact.

I am wondering if my drill is a re-badge other make, and that to find it I have to find out which one.

Its frustrating, because the filed windings are VERY cheap. If I can only find out which one I need.

I am going to strip the drill and remove the winding and inspect all parts for numbers or makers marks.

Who knows I might get lucky.

It might even be an old De-walt for all i know.

Its become a challenge now to find out about this drill LOL.

Thanks for trying.

Buy a Bosch blue sds and you will never think about that antique drill again.

The Bosch will last twice as long also.

its definatly B&D professional
and teh more i look at the pics the more i'm convinced its a p2271

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back