virus removal question

B

breezer

I think i have m00 its also called w32.randex.at

i brought a spyware programme that claims to be able to remove it, it hasn't.

I have googled (thats how i found the spyware prog) and as yet i can not find a way to remove it.

I "search" my pc for m00, it finds it , and something with a similar name, i delete them both, (and a whole bunch of similar named files)

i also have avg antivirus, that doesnt seem to find it either.

any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
First get rid of A.V.G. Then get Avast a free Anti-virus program. Better than A.V.G.

Second, get Spybot & addware. You should now have a good set up.
Regards
QF

Sponsored Links
One thing Breezer where is the virus your program found? is it in the restore archive? I had a similar problem in that several virus programs i tried informed me of the file but wouldn't remove it due to archiving, on delving further i found that to lose it i had to uncheck the restore function in system setup and after rebooting restore the function again, this did the trick and left my pc clean albeit i lost my previous checkpoints and ability to restore previous to this cleanup.

good thinking, but the link igorian supplied said to disable system restore

If your windows-based spyware program(s) won't remove the files and you know what they're called and where they are, then reboot into DOS and delete them via the DEL command.

breezer said:
good thinking, but the link igorian supplied said to disable system restore
That's what i meant sorry if i didn't explain myself properly. I beleive that the virus wasn't active and not a problem while it st in the archive and therefore the virus checkers merely pointed to it but left it up to you whether you wanted to remove it manually or not, i presume from this that unless i had to do a restore it would've just sat there on my hard drive doing no harm apart from causing annoying prompts from the checkers.

In saying that though , the particular virus i had was one that doesn't harm pc's running windows ME like mine( apart from a bit of slowing up the system) but can carry over to XP and cause bad problems there.

As the previous post, download spysweeper and Kaspersky Anti Virus.

Both have a 14 day free trial...

Install and run Kaspersky first (viruses as usually more harmful than spyware) then install spysweeper and remove EVERYTHING.

Both detect worms and trojans (most common problems)

You will probably have to restart your PC and boot into safe mode (as soon as the PC boots keep pressing F8 a black menu will appear. Choose safe mode) Now run a scan with both (from memory, they both run in safe mode)

If you still have problems it will be because the viruses/spyware are running at startup.

To disable this (All windows except 2000) click on Start / Run then type msconfig

Click on "Startup" and untick anything that you don't recognise. (You can untick anything in this section) If something stops working then go back into this section and you locate the program you have unselected.

Sponsored Links
Back