Visible tape joints after painting plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I’m currently having a new bathroom fitted at the moment and have an issue with the walls. I did two coats of paint yesterday and it’s now become very apparent you can clearly see the tape joints. I did a mist coat prior to the 2 coats of emulsion. I know the spotlight/colour of walls may not help the matter but this looks really odd. I was expecting fully flat walls after paying a plasterer to do the job. What is the cause for this and is there anything that can be done to rectify the problem?

IMG_2084.jpeg
IMG_2083.jpeg
IMG_2044.jpeg
IMG_1977.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well obviously new plasterboard was put in on the lower section. Hence you needing to joint it. Probably as that was the extent of the old tile line in the former bathroom?
The heavy trowel marks in the first photo suggest he got on the skim a bit late. He needed to get a good depth on the whole wall to accommodate the joint which he hasn't managed to do.
The defect is clearly obvious in all photos. You shouldn't have really gone past the mistcoat stage. Easyfill would probably have fixed it at that stage.
The dark paint has highlighted it more but has left you without a leg to stand on..
Options to remedy... Bluegrit entire wall and reskim or maybe overtack with 9mm plasterboard and reskim.
I don't think you will get any joy with the plasterer though.

Thanks for the response. What makes you think I won’t get any joy with the plasterer? He’s clearly not done the job correctly so needs to come back and rectify the issue. I’m not a professional so I wasn’t aware it would be so visible after applying paint..

Sponsored Links
What makes you think I won’t get any joy with the plasterer?
It's about whether they'll be capable of making it good, having failed to notice and rectify the problem at a stage when it was easy to do something about it

You could try sanding the joints down hard to level out but possibly this would expose the tape
Gives you the option of keeping going to create a fillable depression.. or redoing the joint with a wider spread to make it less visually apparent

DIYer but have done some jointing and taping including butt joints to skim. Did a lot of research.

My thoughts
Light sand
Paint Zinsser BIN 8 inches either side of the join
Easifil 6 inches either side of the join and blend out.
You will end up with a very slight hump that should be almost invisible to the eye.

Depends how practical you are.
No harm in calling the plasterer. Might not get anywhere.

Is that standard plasterboard behind your tiles? Will probably be fine if you used a pro tiler.
More modern, waterproof boards available.

Anything going on the wall behind the sink and loo? Tiles to match those in the shower could look good and protect the wall from splashes.
What sort of rad or towel rail are you fitting?

You may find it is not so obvious once you have a rad, mirror, towels etc.

It looks a really nice job and I do understand your annoyance.

I will have a large mirror over the vanity unit and a large towel rail opposite the toilet so yes they will hide the defects to some extent I feel that’s not that point. I don’t want tiles as I prefer the look without and shouldn’t have to get it tiled now just to cover bad workmanship

I am no expert. If it were me, i would really sand down hard on that line as mentioned above. Going deeper than need be and then using a filler and blending it, sanding etc....

Worth a try if plasterer doesnt want to fix it..

Give the plasterer a call and see what they say. You will then know where you stand.

I would suggest that if they will fix it, the repainting will be down to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back