Visonic PowerMaster ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Moved recently into a new build that has a Visonic Powermaster (believe it's the Powermaster 10, not the 30), nonetheless I've read on here about the horror stories of how sh*t it is ....

If I was to replace it, any ideas on how I would accomplish that and are there any recommendations. I was looking at the Ring system, but know there are many others out there too.

Ideally need something that has "AI" to be able to detect whether the motion is pets or humans, as we have 2 cats and a small dog roaming around the house .... so hence have't enabled the Visonic as I read somewhere that it can't differentiate between humans and animals; let alone I can't figure out how to configure it, seems archaic and the manual is mega confusing!

IMG_3186.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
If it works it is probably better than ring.
To be fair,

read about how pet sensors work on here, a motion sensor for pet discrimination leaves you vulnerable to being robbed by short arses and people that crawl, in the case of cats soecifically they have a tendancy to jump up onto other surfaces and activate the alarm,

Go perimeter, go camera, limit your cats access to the house when your out and use motion sensors,

Yet to see a good pet sensor that perfectly eliminates false alarms from pets and always picks up humans.
Pressure mats set to ignore the weight of cats may work, but wouldn’t work for big dogs. Don’t see pressure mats much these days let alone ones that trigger say over x kg.

Can’t be specific as don’t know what you want vs what your prepared to do and the layout of the property.

Best to do advice in public to start with been a member less than an hour and going straight for pm looks a little iffy.

Can you not advise the person in the public forum if they are prepared to be more specific with their issue and if they have access to the installers codes or not.

If it works it is probably better than ring.
To be fair,

read about how pet sensors work on here, a motion sensor for pet discrimination leaves you vulnerable to being robbed by short arses and people that crawl, in the case of cats soecifically they have a tendancy to jump up onto other surfaces and activate the alarm,

Go perimeter, go camera, limit your cats access to the house when your out and use motion sensors,

Yet to see a good pet sensor that perfectly eliminates false alarms from pets and always picks up humans.
Pressure mats set to ignore the weight of cats may work, but wouldn’t work for big dogs. Don’t see pressure mats much these days let alone ones that trigger say over x kg.

Can’t be specific as don’t know what you want vs what your prepared to do and the layout of the property.
No way would i swap this system for a ring. The GT64 is a very good alarm, especially the visonic power G range of detectors, exellent range, and almost un touched battery life, 5-8 years across most devices. As above, if you have the installer code you could have certain zones not active and could limit animal’s access to protected areas.

If you have the newer MP802 pir’s (rectangular shape) they have a removable pet mask inside them) if you have the older k9-85’s (oval shape) then you would have to replace the lens to have non pet friendly motion sensors. Far better off having non ‘pet friendly’ lenses and limiting animals access. Also that panel can be turned into a smart alarm with either a powerlink 3.1 or a gsm/3g sim card unit.

Not to mention the visonic is grade 2, ring is not, at least as far as i am aware.

Sponsored Links
Ring Motion Detector sensitivity control can be found in the Device Profile menu in the Ring app or web app. Even with these settings, your small- or medium-sized pet may still set off the alarm. It's therefore advisable to try and adjust the sensitivity slider on your Ring Alarm to a point where your animal no longer sets off the alarm.

Note however that this control only adjusts general sensitivity, not pet immunity, and depending on your pet, you may find that there is no setting where it does not set off the alarm.

Larger pets and security gates

If you have a pet that weighs more than 3.5 stone, you have a slightly more difficult challenge ahead of you. At that size, your pet is far more likely to set off an alarm. The easiest way to make sure that your pet doesn't trigger a false alarm is to make sure that your pets can't go in the rooms where the Motion Detectors are while you're not home.

Not really any better than any other alarm is it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back