Visually Impaired / Severely Sight Impaired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12 year old son who is visually impaired, and in trying to make his life a little easier round the house i was told that you can purchase coloured switches and sockets which can be contrasted against different backgrounds. The only items i have located are some designer ones and they are very expensive.
Does anyone know of any outlet that may stock such products?

Thanking you in Advance
Bhatti

Sponsored Links
I have a 12 year old son who is visually impaired, and in trying to make his life a little easier round the house i was told that you can purchase coloured switches and sockets which can be contrasted against different backgrounds. The only items i have located are some designer ones and they are very expensive.
Does anyone know of any outlet that may stock such products?

Thanking you in Advance
Bhatti

I take it you have looked at the Crabtree range here!

http://www.electrika.com/products/m/man-0170/pdftech/crabtree-2010-166.pdf

MK Electric also do products that comply with the contrast ratio outlined in Part M of the Building regulations.

Have a look at MK's graphite range of accesories.

p4751123_x.jpg

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

They also do switches with extra wide rockers etc.

Sponsored Links
you can get illuminated surrounds for light switches ( and other single accessories ) but I don't think they do them for double sockets..

you can also get "finger guards" for behind switches so you don't mark the paper and I'm sure these are available in most colours..

there's also the option of painting the guards with "plasti-kote" which comes in various colours and some that are textured... with a bit of masking in the right places i'm sure that you could even plasti-kote the sockets / switches themselves..

Hi Bhatti,
Contact me directly in the profile section and I will try to point you in the right direction..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back