Vito handbrake stuck on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as per the title really, what am I looking at / for before I start? Release lever inside seems to work so guessing the problem is behind the wheel.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the ("someone pulled the brake on so hard I can't release it"!) trick of starting up the engine and then pushing the foot brake down as hard as possible and holding while you release the hand brake?

I guess it's time to get the wheels off, I'm afraid.....I have very limited experience with these but the lining material is prone to coming off from the shoe, and jamming things up. This was on a Sprinter though and after only a few years the corrosion within the rear drum was appalling. Sometimes the wheel comes free by trying to set off in reverse.
Let's know what you find?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, tried reversing, emergency stops and anything else I could think of. Will update in time.

Got underneath and gave it a few wacks with the hammer which freed it off for now, still have look into it a bit more though as the dashboard warning light is still lit.:evil:

If the design is like the Sprinter, the mechanism inside the disc/drum is simple enough, but the adjuster for the handbrake shoes needs to be backed off for the disc/drum to be removed.
I'm wondering if it's just a corroded handbrake cable now!

Don`t think it the cable as when you pull the release handle the footbrake pedals comes up with a wallop of a noise, stand to be corrected though, at least I can drive it now. Haven`t taken the wheel off yet but from I can see it`s disc so suspect the caliper slider isn`t sliding.

If it's what I'm thinking of - and it may not be - there may be a disc / drum combination.
In other words, the foot brake works on the disc which has a sliding caliper.....but the handbrake works on a pair of small brake shoes, cable operated, upon a drum machined into the disc material. Either way, there's nowt to be scared of within!

Could be right there mate, only using a small pen type torch but thought I could see a section of tiny skeleton type back plate and there was small caliper there with a cable attached so was wacking that part of the caliper that I could reach with the hammer. I`ll do it properly when it`s warmer.
Many thanks for you input, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Back