Vivaro Van will not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bough a Vivaro crew cab , 2003, a few months ago and never had a problem until tonight. I started it up as usual and drove about a mile when suddenly it died completely in seconds. It refuses to start even though it turns over perfectly but will not fire. It did a very long journey yesterday in extremely heavy rain but seemed fine. the reason I mentioned the rain was that i had a similar Renault traffic that died every time it hit a puddle of water on the road but never had that problem with the vivaro--not yet anyway.
The only thing I did notice recently with the Vivaro was that it took a long time to warm up after starting and would have to be coaxed along with the accelerator until eventually it took off and ran normally but I thought that was par for the course with these vans as the Renault had a similar problem back then.
I had just put diesel in the vivaro tonight just before starting out on the journey but I doubt if that has anything to do with it ? I get my fuel locally and have done so for years in the same place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Sponsored Links
is there any evidence of water contamination of your fuel system?
it's been known that garages have on occasions sold contaminated fuel.
are you positive you put the correct fuel in the tank?

Wotan

is there any evidence of water contamination of your fuel system?
it's been known that garages have on occasions sold contaminated fuel.
are you positive you put the correct fuel in the tank?

Wotan

Thanks for reply,

Never had a problem before with fuel from this supplier--its a small local garage and always been ok. Also , I would have heard if there was a problem with their fuel as its a very small village

I think its a fair idea to start at your fuel filter at this stage - I don't know anything about Vivaro's but often enough theres a drain cock on the bottom of the filter bowl or cartridge so you can see whats in there.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think its a fair idea to start at your fuel filter at this stage - I don't know anything about Vivaro's but often enough theres a drain cock on the bottom of the filter bowl or cartridge so you can see whats in there.
John :)

Just got told by a mechanic at my local garage that it MAY be the fuel pump

{engine side -not in the tank}

Rang a breakers and got quoted 200 for a secondhand one

Is that not very pricey

I live in Ireland but if anyone knows of a cheaper option I would certainly be interested
Thanks to all who replied
Rusty

you will need to get it pressure tested first to prove it is the pump or you will be fighting a loosing battle trying to guess at it

Its my local garage and not main dealers so its a lot of guesswork as far as i can see
They told me it was the injector fuel pump so I went and got one from a friends van that's not running
They fitted it and said ok-the fuel pumps working now-- But you also need a mass airflow sensor as thats gone as well

is it possible they both went at the same time ?

Sponsored Links
Back