Vokera Boiler wont power on - what electrical checks ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a vokera compact 28 that wont power on, i've replaced the fuse on the spur but suspect the PCB may be gone. I've taken it out and reconnected everything but no power still.

Do i just need to check there is current arriving at the board ?

The fuse on the PCB seems to be ok still as no evidence of the filament breaking

Anything else to consider here ?

thanks in advance,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Dangerous to even open your boiler without doing the basic voltage ( not current ) tests.

Measure voltage between a known good earth such as your ring main and the live, neutral and earth connections at the boiler input.

Unlikely to be the PCB but until you have done the most basic checks you cannot know.

Also handling the PCB has risks of you doing damage with static electricity if you don't know how to take basic precautions.

Tony

I assume you are talking about the fuse on the PCB, if you follow where the supply cable goes into the boiler (with power off of course) where it is connected to the boiler terminal strip there is a fuse in there, if you dont have any power at all in the boiler but the idolater is fine than it will be that fuse that has blown, it is possible to have a lazy fuse but if it keeps blowing I would be looking at the pump or fan or more unusually the gas valve if it is anything other than the pump you will need a Gas safe registered engineer to change them.

Ah now i wasn't aware of that fuse where the supply cable enters - will have a check of that and replace.

Sponsored Links
I've just checked that fuse and again it looks fine - will it always be very evident if the fuse has gone ?

Time to get a multimeter on the job and see where the power is stopping.

does the neon on the front of the boiler do anything at all ? green light flashing or red solid light ?

Is the boiler isolator (fused spur outlet) on its own circuit? or just 'spurred' off an adjacent 13A socket? if yes to the first, check consumer unit.

As Agile says, Electrickery can be dangerous without skills and equipment for safe testing.

does the neon on the front of the boiler do anything at all ? green light flashing or red solid light ?

Sadly no light whatsoever...hence my assumption the power has gone completely.

Is the boiler isolator (fused spur outlet) on its own circuit? or just 'spurred' off an adjacent 13A socket? if yes to the first, check consumer unit.

As Agile says, Electrickery can be dangerous without skills and equipment for safe testing.

Yes checked the Consumer Unit straight away to see if any circuits had tripped but all of them are fine.

The only way to test is with a meter.

If you don't have the skills or equipment for that then call a pro.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back