Volkswagen LT Drive Belt Wear UPDATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While servicing my van the other day I noticed the drive belt had a small crack running along the length of the belt. To get a better look I removed the belt and found that one of the six ribs was worn away (same position as the crack).

I checked the pulleys and found a little play in the PAS, but no other issues.

As I needed the van for a long journey the next day, I fetched a new belt from the motor factors and fitted it on the van. This was a few days ago and, after checking the belt today, the same rib on the new belt is already showing wear.

Would the play in the PAS cause this type of wear? I'd have expected wear on the edge of the belt.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is the belt sitting square on the pulleys with all the ribs in their correct places and is the rib that's wearing on an outside edge? If so its more likely that its running out of line than due to any movement. Check as carefully as you can that all the pulleys square to the belt, when under tension it could be that its being pulled out of line.

If its not an outside edge that's wearing I would suspect that on of the pulleys is damaged/disintegrating. Check the crankshaft pulley for tightness.

Peter

+1 for the belt being out of alignment.......I have known a severely worn tensioner do the same - even though it was running on the back of the belt.
Free revolving alternator pulley issues are becoming engraved on my skull just now!
John :)

Thanks Peter and Burnerman.

The worn rib is the second one in from the engine side of the belt. I'll have a good look at the pulleys tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I've read about those alternator pulleys, Burnerman, I wondered if that might have been the problem. Luckily though it appears mine is just a fixed one (going by the appearance of the pulley).

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just been out to check pulleys, they all seem in good condition, apart from the two ribs either side if the groove that wears the belt are slightly shinier on all the pulleys.

However, when I started the engine to check if the belt was running straight, I noticed the crank pulley has a distinct wobble at idle but settles down if you increase the revs.

I know the bottom pulley acts as a damper, but is this wobble normal and does it explain the belt wear?

Forgot to say, the other pulleys and the belt seem to be running true.

If it uses a dual mass pulley I would suspect that the rubber bond is failing, I would check it out as it could fall apart.

Peter

Definitely no wobble is acceptable there......it does sound like a damper pulley disintegrating (unless the pulley is loose :eek: )

Thanks again for the replies.

I've been looking around and the crank pulley is around £100, so not too bad. The main problem seems to be the super tight bolt holding it on and locking the crankshaft while it is loosened and retightened.

However, as you chaps said, it needs doing so I'll get on with it.

Matt

Yep, removing that nut if its a single one can be a pain right enough.....
A tip or two?
A threadlock compound is used to secure the bolt. To free that stuff (and it grips like hell) - heat it up with a blow torch on the bolt head. Allow the heat to soak right down the bolt as its a long 'un.
Next, use a good fitting socket on the bolt - put the van in 4th gear, get a pal to stamp on the brake and you heave away with a breaking bar.....it'll come free.
Be lucky!

Let me guess....
Ring spanner on the pulley nut
Jam the spanner against the sub frame
Spin the engine on the starter
Make appointment with the orthodontist because you forgot which way the motor spins :p
Close? :D
John :D

Thanks for the tips john, I'll buy a new 27mm socket for my 3/4 inch breaker bar and have a go at it.

Peter, are you referring to the red neck method of wedging the breaker bar against something and blipping the starter? I've heard of that but (un)fortunately my van starts first turn of the key :LOL:

Beat me to it John. Spent too long choosing the smilie.

Let me guess....
Ring spanner on the pulley nut
Jam the spanner against the sub frame
Spin the engine on the starter
Make appointment with the orthodontist because you forgot which way the motor spins :p
Close? :D
John :D

Close :D

You have to blip the starter very briefly Matt

Peter :D

Sponsored Links
Back