Volkswagen LT Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last few weeks I've noticed a buzzing/vibration noise coming from the passenger side foot well. As the jack and tools are stored underneath a removable panel, I took them and the metal securing bracket out but it made no difference. The fuel filter is also under the passenger foot well so I checked for any loose parts but all are secure.

The noise occurs for a couple of seconds after changing gear (when slightly labouring) and constantly when traveling at motorway speed or approaching full revs in any gear. There is no noise when stationary at all engine speeds and if freewheeling.

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
Can you pop the wheel arch liner off, to have a look under there? Some part is resonating and may be close to the bodywork, if not actually loose.
John :)

Thanks, John. There's no wheel arch liner, but there's plenty of cables/pipes underneath the foot well. I've checked for anything loose but they were all in their respective clips.

Do you mean something that may appear tightly fixed, could be vibrating on the body somewhere under the foot well?

You are possibly looking for any component that runs close to the bodywork.....pipes, cables etc.
Also have a good look at the exhaust - over time it can shift position and vibrate close to the metalwork. The engine mountings also become more flexible after a while, which allows problems that weren't there when the van was new.
It could be a bit of a faff, this one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Right, I shall have another look under the van tomorrow.

Nothing's ever easy on LTs. The fuel filter being a prime example.

Back