Volunteers and Part P

Pensdown said:
dingbat said:
'The cost of being able to self certify' is insignificant... unless one needs training and equipment to be able to do what one's credentials suggest you should already be capable of.

I have little but scorn for these charlatans.

I couldn't agree more.

The cost is NOT insignificant to those extremely good electricians who do charitable work. They have two options for all reportable work. Find a one off £2000 out of their own pocket to become "trained" or charge the client ( often a charity case ) the LABC inspection fee.

Sponsored Links
Moz, 'tis funny how the Mods can sometimes surprise. ;)

My preference is a donation to an orphanage or a women's refuge, but I trust you to make a wise choice.

I know its already been said, but when people are throwing around figures of 2k to get part P I dont get it. No-one should really be in the trade without a test kit and qualifications anyway??? I just think that people who didn't bother before werent doing a proper job and have been caught with their pants down :oops: I think the whole trade besides domestic needs a shakeup as well. BTW the NICEIC is a registered charity, maybe they will help you out in some way :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ample said:
I just think that people who didn't bother before werent doing a proper job and have been caught with their pants down :oops: I think the whole trade besides domestic needs a shakeup as well. BTW the NICEIC is a registered charity, maybe they will help you out in some way :LOL:

The work was not done by full time electricians but was to a high quality and compliance with regulations.

I have passed on the comment about NICEIC being a charity.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Bernard, I've got mixed opinions on what type of electrical works competent diyers should be allowed to do in their own homes without the red tape but when we start talking about electricians working in someone else’s home that’s a different story.

IMO it doesn’t matter whether the customer is paying or not, the works should still be done in a manner where the customer knows they have been done correctly. At the moment a test certificate and building regs sign off is the best way of indicating that.

I’m sure that in your case the works were done properly and the donated materials were suitable but I doubt if that’s always the case. Charity work by its very nature is often done on the cheap but when it comes to electrical works who takes responsibility for the installation if it’s not up to scratch or if something more serious goes wrong?

I can imagine that some of the employed very competent, very qualified and very good sparks on here must also get frustrated by PP but IMO it’s a step in the right direction for anyone having work done by an unknown person/company whether paid for or not.

….oh, and please read dings post again. There was more to it than just the insignificant sum it costs to be able to self certify. If it’s just the cost of test kit that frightens your sparks drop me a mail.

Not really an electric issue, more of a self-cert issue.

Whenever somebody is able to "self certify" then I believe the system is open to abuse. Some jobs can be a right pain, and it isn't always easy to comply with regs. In these situations I am sure that some people will cut corners.

Not neccesarily in a bad or dangerous way, but in a way that is non-compliant anyway.

Self-cert only really works with random auditing. I have no knowledge of part P/electrical schemes but I know it needs to happen (but doesn't) with plumbers.

Some of the worst installs I've ever seen have been "Self cert".

BoxBasher said:
Not really an electric issue, more of a self-cert issue.

Whenever somebody is able to "self certify" then I believe the system is open to abuse. Some jobs can be a right pain, and it isn't always easy to comply with regs. In these situations I am sure that some people will cut corners.

Not neccesarily in a bad or dangerous way, but in a way that is non-compliant anyway.

Self-cert only really works with random auditing. I have no knowledge of part P/electrical schemes but I know it needs to happen (but doesn't) with plumbers.

Some of the worst installs I've ever seen have been "Self cert".

Very true Box, that is why I believe Part P should STOP people testing their own work and always have someone independent test it. It forces installers to comply and undertake work professionally as well as per the Regs.

I can, but I never test my own installs for certification purposes. I do test, but always get in another Contractor (a friend) to test my installs...I know there will be no favouritism as Justin is a stickler and I also know that when he signs it off...its good...

Big_Spark said:
Very true Box, that is why I believe Part P should STOP people testing their own work and always have someone independent test it...

And yet again, somebody who should know better, fails to grasp what Part P actually is.

FFS read the effing document.

Big_Spark said:
Very true Box, that is why I believe Part P should STOP people testing their own work and always have someone independent test it. It forces installers to comply and undertake work professionally as well as per the Regs.

I can, but I never test my own installs for certification purposes. I do test, but always get in another Contractor (a friend) to test my installs...I know there will be no favouritism as Justin is a stickler and I also know that when he signs it off...its good...

WTF are you talking about.......are you a sparks or just ****ed?

dingbat said:
Big_Spark said:
Very true Box, that is why I believe Part P should STOP people testing their own work and always have someone independent test it...

And yet again, somebody who should know better, fails to grasp what Part P actually is.

FFS read the effing document.

Dingbat..I don't actually give a flying **** about Part P...READ MY SIG...

And as for understanding Part P..I think I do...but I have simply given up following it as it has no relevence to any of the work I currently undertake..should that need to change..then I will go over it again..but I think this HIGHLY unlikely...

Pensdown said:
Big_Spark said:

WTF are you talking about.......are you a sparks or just p****d?

I would think that obvious..or are you an illegal immigrant that cannot read English?

I do the work..I test to ensure there are no problems in a basic way..but for the certificates I get in a Contractor I know well to do the full test and Inspection. This way I KNOW it is good..and to be totally honest..I bloodywell HATE testing as it is boring boring boring...

Big_Spark said:

So is your work and competence directly audited by an independent third party like the NIC, ECA?

Softus said:
Big_Spark said:
..or are you an illegal immigrant that cannot read English?
Care to justify that bigoted, oafish, xenophobic comment?

No...I wasn't talking to you...

Been reading a dictionary again have you ???.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back