Volvo S40 1.6D missfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2008 reg, with view to buying!

Started from cold, the engine seemed to idle a bit low.

After a minute to warm up, did steady rev tests. No matter what speed, there's a regular miss every few seconds. Held steady at 2000rpm, it actually cut out. Also cut out when back at tick over but did restart every time.

Diesel tank was practically dry but with a bit air in the system, the engine simply wouldn't start!

Are there any problematic fuel sensor issues on these engines?

Sponsored Links
I'll call the seller tomorrow and see what yarn they spin about it, that is if they've bothered at all!

Actually, a nice car overall.

Thanks for the Volvo forum link. Have posted to see if anyone can shed light.

Sponsored Links
Make sur that you post in the right v40 forum
I have a 2001 v40 ( different)

Indeed, posted in S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General and chose Engine D5 option.

thanks

Yours wont be a D5 , that's the most powerful 2litre (or maybe more) diesel . You're probably looking at the Ford/ Peugeot DV6 diesel, well known for turbo and turbo oil feed problems and injector seal failure. Your family really do send you to look at some old nails ! Do they think that whatever they buy, you'll keep it going for them ?

When they want a car, they tell me what they want and give me a budget.

I find them and research them for common problems.

Misfire ended just be a low diesel problem, or so we were told.

Actually drove very well on test drive.

It makes you wonder, when someone presents a car for you so low on fuel :eek:
Good luck with it if you decide to buy!
John :)

Thanks John!

Yes, the lad decided to buy the car cause its actually in good nick - lovey black leather interior.

They'd attempted to take the car to the local station but kept stalling on the forecourt so they filled up from a jerry can and all was well after that, the test drive was very smooth.

I called the Volvo dealer to check service history. Unlike VW who have tick boxes for items serviced, Volvo is basically mileage and service stamp.

Last oil change was 98k miles, presently at 105k.

No timing belt change which is 10 years/140km so will so oil/filter and belt change. Quantum 507.00 oil from VW, Mann filter and Gates belt kit.

May call Volvo garage back to check last fuel filter change!
Its a 35k intervals filter.

For sure, they look like a super vehicle although I've never owned one...in fact I've only ever done one engine service and I'm not sure which model that was.
I just get suspicious with misfiring diesels and have had loads of bother with Izuzu kit, particularly in the Trooper. I also look after a BMW 5 series that has a definite misfire when run on normal fuel...add Shell V power and the misfire disappears! Its done this for the last 10 years of its life that I know of. I've really no idea why.

As like VWs, is it recommended to change the water pump with the belt?

Kits can with or with out w/p!

At that sort of mileage, fit a new pump and you'll be able to relax for a few years or thousands of miles!
Make sure the kit has the tensioners too - Gates seem to have all you'll need.
Can't help with the installation I'm afraid but be aware there is a trend for belt pulleys not to be keyed into place so locking kits are essential - but I can't comment on the Volvo.

As I said above, isn't this the Ford/PSA DV6 engine? Plenty of info on the www. about timing belt changes.

Sponsored Links
Back