Volvo vs toyota

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys looking for a new car for family and work, could do with a estate but large saloon or hatch would be ok. Been looking at volvo v70 and the toyota avensis both aound a 07 reg. out of thease 2 what would be most likely the most reliable? I know a few people with volvos and also toyotas and all recomend each make. For me insurance is simalar for both and dont mind petrol or diesel, i do about 18k a year, also there is a toyota dealer 10 mins from me where theres only one volvo dealer in mancheser i think wich is a bit from me. Any advise is welcome thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not had Toyota but they are well known for reliability, had lots of Volvo's and cannot fault them, the V70 is huge and great load space, they also hold lots of records for longevity.[My current 04 V40 has 175,000 on the clock and still runs very well]. The Volvo should be slightly cheaper to maintain.

The 2003-2008 Avensis (known as the T25) can be fitted with a 2.2 diesel engine which was prone to cylinder head problems until 2009 - personally I'd avoid this engine. There are two 2.0 diesel engine fitted around the age you mention - the one with the 5 speed gearbox is the reliable one, the one with the 6 speed box had similar problems to the 2.2, but much much rarer. They cured the diesel engines in the newer T27 shape (2009 on).
The 1.8 petrol vvti is a good engine capable of high mileages and lots of taxis up here have them. They're not the most powerful but they don't break down, and they're pretty good on fuel economy. Some 1.8's suffered from poor oil cooling and worn piston bores until fixed around late 2005. The model was mildly facelifted early 2006 - so make sure you buy a facelift one. The 2.0 petrol vvti wasn't affected so they're all good.
The T25 in general is a soft comfy quiet ride and I'd recommend it - I've previously owned two.

Another choice could involve the Skoda Octavia....always worth seeing what the cabbies are using!
Up here the Toyota Prius hybrid reigns supreme.
John :)

Sponsored Links
great replys so far, iv liked the octavia but for my budget they are mega miles, i dont mine 120,000 to say 150,000 to buy with and run up but the octavias (alot of them as taxis round here) are like 270,000 miles upward.

just had another look online, and seems more avensis about than volvo estates, i think the volvo looks better but then i need reliabliltiy and comfort over looks, are they toyotas comfy? curently in a vectra and its awful, dont know if its me or just poor seats.

Had an octavia 1.6 d for last 4 years up and down M1 doing around 600 miles + a week now on 120k no problems at all, carry a bit of weight it does suffer from a sagging back end but pulls very good, on the other hand I also have a Lexus IS 220d ( same engine as the Toyota ) and the only issue I've had is the constant egr valve getting clogged with carbon ( going into limp mode ) so would avoid the Toyota diesel

just had another look online, and seems more avensis about than volvo estates, i think the volvo looks better but then i need reliabliltiy and comfort over looks, are they toyotas comfy? curently in a vectra and its awful, dont know if its me or just poor seats.
Very reliable and comfortable , car of choice for long distance work. [hold record for greatest distance on one clutch, over 500,000 miles.]

over toyota and volvo im leaning more toward the volvo but my mate suggested a Honda CR-V 2.0 ivtec, does have good boot size and the 4 wheel drive would help when im going down farm tracks/ lanes wich iv not got stuck on but can get slippy at times, has anyone owned one, are they good on comfort? thanks again.

Not had Toyota but they are well known for reliability, had lots of Volvo's and cannot fault them, the V70 is huge and great load space, they also hold lots of records for longevity.[My current 04 V40 has 175,000 on the clock and still runs very well]. The Volvo should be slightly cheaper to maintain.
I like some of the newer Volvos but surely they will be costly on parts and pretty hard to get anywhere but a main agent?

over toyota and volvo im leaning more toward the volvo but my mate suggested a Honda CR-V 2.0 ivtec, does have good boot size and the 4 wheel drive would help when im going down farm tracks/ lanes wich iv not got stuck on but can get slippy at times, has anyone owned one, are they good on comfort? thanks again.
I like the look of the crv, very reasonably priced and the engines are very good.

Worth looking at kerb weight and emissions/tax banding as well - mate at work has a small volvo and its mpg is horrendous (1.6 non-turbo petrol), it eats front tyres due to its weight and the VED is not cheap.

Worth looking at kerb weight and emissions/tax banding as well - mate at work has a small volvo and its mpg is horrendous (1.6 non-turbo petrol), it eats front tyres due to its weight and the VED is not cheap.
We have a 1.8 petrol and I get up to 48 mpg, though the Mrs is a bit deaf so rarely gets it beyond 3rd gear [can't hear the engine screaming] so she only get 25mpg.

Sponsored Links
Back