Voting against your own best interests

it's strange that British people in foreign countries like to be called "Ex-Pats" while foreign people in Britain are called "Migrants."

No doubt they will be treated with the same degree of sympathy and appreciation that Europeans in Britain receive.

When I lived in Canada and Australia I was an Ex Pat to my fellow countrymen.

To the native people of those country's I was an Immigrant.

Both true, and neither did I take an offence too..

Some would of course make a song a dance...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Brits aren't very bright on the whole. It would make sense that the Spanish govt adopted them, give them a choice, stay British and fo or become Spanish.

Brighter on Average than Germans, French, Finns,Danish and Spanish,Belgians,Irish,Swedes,Hungarians etc.

That's what I was getting at - patriate is a verb.

Repatriate means send someone back to their country of origin, so what does ex-patriate mean used as a noun?

Edit - perhaps the term was meant to be ex-patriot and first used as a derogitory term.
Or perhaps the people who erroneously introduce a hyphen into the noun "expatriate" and thus create a new, undefined, word "ex-patriate" are responsible for the confusion.

So shes had 45 years to register and hasn't bothered.
Why should she do something she didn't have to do?

And moreover something she wasn't even able to do given the rules on dual nationality at the time!

All she has to do now is fill some forms in. What is the issue?
Ever heard of the 'windrush scandal'?

My partner has 'indefinite leave to remain' (ILTR) stamped in an original passport, along with an accompanying letter from the Home Office stating the same...

Both now totally useless in proving ILTR post Brexit!

And at the time of starting to live in the UK, dual nationality wasn't allowed in her country of origin either.

So it's not just a case of 'filling in forms', it's providing proof from decades ago.

And official UK documentation is not proof!

So may I suggest you look into the facts of this 'issue' before spouting b ollox!

That, though, is not correct.
Yes it is.

It is a verb.
It is also a noun and an adjective.

The Oxford dictionary is fast losing any authority by defining words by their popular misuse.
Firstly, theirs is not the only dictionary to contain that use, and secondly do we know how old that use is? Dictionaries describe, they do not prescribe or proscribe. Yes, I think they are sometimes too quick to legitimise what start out as mistakes, but if enough people use a word to mean something for long enough then eventually that really does become what it means.

My partner has 'indefinite leave to remain' (ILTR) stamped in an original passport, along with an accompanying letter from the Home Office stating the same...

Both now totally useless in proving ILTR post Brexit!

I understand your massive shoulder chips now :ROFLMAO:. Diddums.

Sponsored Links
Back