VW Caddy Van

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone suggest labour charge to replace front shockers on 07 plate van. Have paid 300 notes labour charge. Just wondering if that is a good, cheap or OTT charge

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say, but these are completely conventional where the strut is held onto the hub with a clamping pinch bolt and three (I think) bolts on the inner wing.
The spring would need to be swapped unless you got new ones but either way I'd say comfortably 11/2 hr per side and that includes shifting a drop link which can be a pain.
Was this a main dealer price?
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Garage, not main dealer.

Last year front bushes were replaced (big job am told), van serviced ( but service reminder not reset despite two requests to have it done), CVs clicking both needed replaced- they did one, drove out and had to return and to be reminded other needs done too, and MOT

Van was booked in for a service, CVs clicking again (in fact I were real bad as were clicking even on a forward travel not only when turning), and MOT

New CVs fitted ( told no labour) with new wheel bearings, service- again service reminder not reset and will need to go back to have it reset,

OM CVs this time, new shock absorbers and wheel bearing, bill came to just short of £1k

The van is hitting you hard, unfortunately - been down that road myself :eek:
The front bushes are common, and its easy enough to do when the lower wish bone is out of the vehicle....I can't see for the life of me why the CV's are packing in so soon, unless they are true Oriental crap but if they are clicking in a straight line, you are just miles away from having no drive at all.
Hoping you get some respite now!

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

Was wondering if the mechanic is at it as he talks a lot

Equally, he does good repairs and talks a lot and also forgets what needs doing (imagine replacing one CV and not checking the other and giving me the van saying job done)

Just wondering if I should stick with this garage or try someone else.
In a year and a fortnight (or two) I have splashed out £3600 or similar on a van I got from new
Mind the dual mass was replaced as were the bushes and other work detailed before
Van has clocked 95K, not driven hard

I have to say that I find that amount of money in a year simply astonishing. That may well reinforce my judgement /prejudice against both VW Group for reliability and cost of spares, and diesels.

Its always difficult to know when to stop spending, I think......my own Berlingo van was treated to new springs, wheel bearings and a new rear axle not long ago (now, replacing that was no joke :eek:) so I thought it would last forever, finally.
Then, it started jumping out of reverse gear (replacement box and clutch 20k miles ago) so that was it. I'd spent a goodly sum on it, just to be awarded with a trade in value of £700 against a new Bipper :confused: Oh well - live and learn.
I still regard VW as having good body build quality (that is important to me) but the petrol Polo is a complete surprise.....I found plastic bearing cages in the gearbox :eek: so whoever designed that one needs a kick up the arris....failing big time, they are.
Looking at vehicles without particularly generalising, I've been impressed with Kia / Hyundai of late - nothing in the range tempts me but I've been impressed with the C'eed and Sorento build quality.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Back