VW POLO 2003 1198CC Petrol Engine Light On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Polo started giving trouble about two years ago. Engine light came on. I took it to main dealer. They repaired it. But after few months it came back again. I have taken the car to dealer 4 times for this reason. They repair it and then the light comes back on again.

Now a days it struggles to start. I just had it fully serviced by main dealer in May. Light came on just after few weeks.

Amy help on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A number of things could bring the light on,if you are not happy with your first garage try another for a computer readout then decide from the info they give you what to do next. Either fix it yourself or pay them to do it and erase the fault code.

;)

you need a cheap basic obd2 reader so you can see the codes yourself

or if you want to do more getting someone to have a look with vagcom is ideal

I have bought a lead from ebay. I have installed the driver and installed the unregistered version of VPCS Lite software. This is the first time I have used the software in my laptop. It found few faults. I do not have understanding of these fault codes. If anybody knows the meanings please let me know. What steps I should take. Dealer is not doing anything. Just resetting the fault codes and they come back soon after.

1 Fault Found:
16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-00 - -

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

1 Fault Found:
01598 - Drive Battery Voltage
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Sponsored Links
cts is usually blue topped and £10-£15 from motor factors, (i'll search for it in a min)

01598 is just low battery voltage (check the small wires on the battery if fitted as some have a dedicated one for ecu voltage sensing)

i'd suggest getting a genuine temp sender as most of the aftermarket ones don't seem to last too long.
Genuine one is around £20 with the Vat

Hi,
If there is anybody in Birmingham area who can repair my car please let me know. I live in West Bromwich area.

Hi SetNova,
I have uploaded a new picture in the above link. I believe this is the ect sensor. It is in quite complicated place. Please confirm.

Regards,
Su

While taking picture of the car engine I discovered that a pipe (like a hoover pipe) is open. It looks like a air pipe. What it does I do not know. It is connected from the engine to the front of the car. There is a socket where the pipe is connected. For some unknown reason it is disconnected. Nobody opens the bonnet except me and the main dealer. It is a mystery how this happened. I connected the pipe in the socket. Next day the engine light did not come on. The light is not coming on now. The engine is smooth like new. I can not figure out how an air pipe affected ect sensor. Engine now starts without difficulty. Anyway, I am waiting if the light comes back on again. I will connect my laptop again and see what are the readings.

Sounds like an EGR pipe, that causes bad idle, and stall when coming to a stop.

I 'think' it's caused by excessive crankcase pressure, so either too thick an oil being used, or valves that cannot operate as usual???

I would expect the pipe to detach again, until the problem is sorted.

That pipe looks more like an air intake, rather than an EGR pipe (exhaust gas recirculation), or temperature sensor.

I disconnected the air temperature sensor on my car, but it only caused a fault to be stored on the ECU, rather than an engine warning light. Maybe on your car you have heated wires, as opposed to an air temp sensor, and it had become disconnected?

Is there a method to read the ECU codes on your car? Mine (1995 car) is done by shorting out te1 and e1 in the fusebox/control panel. Obviously a very different method to obtain yours, as mine is a Celica.

Sponsored Links
Back