VW Polo 2003 Petrol 1198CC Shock absorber spring broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Driver side front shck absorber spring broken. Is it possible to change just the spring or I will have to change the whole assembly ? Do I have to change both side ?

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean the suspension spring. You should just be able to change just the spring but you may need a spring compressor to do it. You don't have to change both sides unless you find the front is not level.

Peter

No need to change the damper unless there is a specific reason to do so. Check it when it off the car, there should be no sign of fluid leaks and when depressing the piston it should move freely and eventually return to the top. It is best to replace both sides but if you are trying to do it as cheap as possible then you could get away with doing one side.

You will need a spring compressor to get the assembly apart unless it has completely snapped in two and is under no tension any more. If you do need to compress it be careful and make sure you compress it below the break.

I have the workshop manual if you want to PM me your email I can send the pages over.

Sponsored Links
The technician at my local garage has identified that there is leak in the absorber and the spring is broken. He is suggesting me that I can buy a used set of absorber +Spring and he will replace it for me. Is it a good idea to buy used or shall I buy new ? I am in favour of buying new. Please advise me what is best.

Ask your garage to fit some pattern (i.e non genuine VW) parts to your car.
Although second hand suspension parts are available from breakers, ( a complete strut, in fact) they aren't guaranteed to be in good order.
John :)

Back