Wago connectors inside light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to work out what my best course of action is to replace a standard loop-in ceiling rose with a new metal light fixing.

My initial thoughts were to use a wago box & connectors to replicate the rose terminal block, with a new length of 1.5mm twin & earth to the light fitting. However, the complication here is that it appears the current plasterboard ceiling seems to have been fixed on top of the old one - so there’s not much room for the wagobox to fit within the void.

Another option is to leave the wago connectors within the new light fitting, and skip the wagobox. Whilst this avoids the need to enlarge the hole in the plasterboard, I’d still need to use a short length of T&E to connect into the light fixing itself.

I should point out this is a downstairs light, so access from above would be a last resort.

What do people think? Which way would be compliant/safest? How would you tackle this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I saw an electrician do the following, questioned it and told it's absolutely fine.
He made the hole large enough to easily pass the wago connectors (1 inch approx) and made his connections, then pushed all of the wagos in the hole and left just the one wire he needed in the rose.
He explained that the wagos are still accessible through the hole, so all good.
Sparks here will confirm or not if truly ok.

Wago connectors that are contained within the light fittings enclosure are fine ,but not if they are just pushed up into the ceiling void ,they would have to be in a MF junction box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I was aware they couldn’t go into the void unless suitably enclosed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back