Wales becomes Trumpton

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is . . . . If a lot of the roads were to be sensibly reclassified.

Most folk like to travel at an indicated 40mph on most sections of 30mph road most of the time.

Young drivers with kids belting around our estate to the 4 schools every morning would benefit from 20mph limits. You'd think the speed humps would of worked. Guess I've been guilty rushing about. We all want to get to our destination as quickly as possible.
Lets be honest. Most of the roads dropping to 20mph you can't drive 30mph anyway. Gridlock or just feels unsafe. If the flow evens out it might be better? I think the result will be no difference for most and for others a few minutes more.

Just stay in second gear and listen to classic FM :giggle:
Just chill.

This guy summed it up right imo.

Labour have admitted their blanket 20mph speed limits will cost the Welsh economy up to £9billion. This economic hit will result in less cash going towards our Welsh NHS.

of course it makes no difference to someone with a 3 mile commute (as per the above video) who would benefit from a bicycle.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Labour have admitted their blanket 20mph speed limits will cost the Welsh economy up to £9billion. This economic hit will result in less cash going towards our Welsh NHS.

of course it makes no difference to someone with a 3 mile commute (as per the above video) who would benefit from a bicycle.
You're having difficulty differentiating between Labour and Tory.
However, the Welsh Conservatives cited official documents warning that the policy could inflict a £9billion blow to the Welsh economy
See the difference?

Direct quote from the news article. I’m guessing you didn’t read all of it

Direct quote from the news article. I’m guessing you didn’t read all of it
You're having difficulty reading.
Mr Drakeford has claimed that the hugely controversial speed limit reduction will protect lives and save the NHS in Wales £92million a year, citing a public health study that estimated the 20mph default limit could reduce collisions by 40 per cent every year.

He also insisted that it will save six to 10 lives annually as well as 1,200 to 2,000 people avoiding injuring by making Wales's streets safer for playing, walking and cycling.

A study by Public Health Wales and Edinburgh Napier University published last year estimated that the policy would spare the health service tens of millions of pounds a year, due to fewer deaths or injuries. The Welsh Government confirmed the introduction will cost £32million, but said this would be outweighed by the reduced impact on the NHS and emergency services.

However, the Welsh
Conservatives cited official documents warning that the policy could inflict a £9billion blow to the Welsh economy
The article that you quoted that you c;laim you read, that you claimed your misleading claim was from.

20 speed limit pretty unenforceable without average cameras. Its a pain with a larger engine car swapping between 2nd and third gear on the longer stretches with speed humps and pinch points. Gimmicky but relatively cheap for the Welsh government to do for the environmental return.

Blup

IMG_5374.jpeg

It’s fairly clear that the person being interviewed is claiming that labour have admitted the £9bn cost and it was not something invented by me.

Do 20 mph speed limits reduce accident deaths?
Not according to the RAC

Reducing speed limits from 30mph to 20mph has "little impact" on road safety, according to a study from Queen’s University Belfast, Edinburgh University and the University of Cambridge. According to data from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, at traffic speeds of 30-40mph, the risk of pedestrian death as a result of a collision with a vehicle is 5.5 times more likely than at speeds between 20-30mph.

The data was collected over 76 streets in the centre of Belfast prior to the introduction of the 20mph rollout, and then one and three years after they were installed.

According to data from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, at traffic speeds of 30-40mph, the risk of pedestrian death as a result of a collision with a vehicle is 5.5 times more likely than at speeds between 20-30mph.
Doesn't that prove 20mph is safer than 40mph?

I always thought 30 was OK. Just wish it was enforced better.

As I see it, those that didn't stick to 30, wont stick to 20

Doesn't that prove 20mph is safer than 40mph?

I always thought 30 was OK. Just wish it was enforced better.

As I see it, those that didn't stick to 30, wont stick to 20
from the link.

Analysis of the data revealed that when compared with areas that had retained their previous speed limits, the new 20mph limits led to minimal change in short or long-term outcomes for road traffic collisions, casualties, or speeding.

from the link.

Analysis of the data revealed that when compared with areas that had retained their previous speed limits, the new 20mph limits led to minimal change in short or long-term outcomes for road traffic collisions, casualties, or speeding.
Which is the classic case of how you read and interpret data.

I don't agree with a blanket 20. But those figures you quoted appear to prove 20 is safer than 40.

Don't think it makes the case for 30 to 20 though.

It's wrong to look at impact speed and compare with free traveling speed. there is no doubt that hitting a person at 20mph is going to result in less injuries than hitting someone at 30mph. But the evidence suggests that 20mph zones don't work, because pedestrians and drivers pay less attention to the risks. No rational human would cross a 40mph road without a really good look, but with 20 zones, people don't see the risks. Head in phone, step out.

Sponsored Links
Back