wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a couple of wall lights in the kitchen on one wall. It's a plain wall between 2 doors, the wall is T & G boarded and I want to take off the boards and plaster, there is a ring main socket on the wall with one socket, can I connect into that.

Sponsored Links
1) if you are not part p registered you must advise building control before you start the work. (I, know, someone had to say it.

2) you must run cables (if hidden) in subscribed zones. Ie directly in line, horizontally or vertically from the accessoriers (swiches, lights etc) or within a line od 150mm from wall or ceiling.

3) if you hide the cabling less than 50mm from the surface then that circuit must be rcd protected

4) if you intend to use a junction box with your switching method then it must remain accessible.

4) how will you test the Zs and insulation and any RCD that you may need to fit.

5) yes you can use the socket but you will neeed to fit a fused spur to acheive the correct discrimination.

OK thanks for that, I was thinking about first fix under the plaster for starters to plan the locations.
Guess I will have to get an electrician to do it, there is a radiator on that wall and I was wondering about feeding one wire along above the skirting before taking both wires up. I was thinking about people nailing pictures or fittings on the wall between the lights.
Within 150mm up from the floor for lateral wiring is where I think I should go behind the radiator. I can fit a small RCD next to the socket and fuse it accordingly.
I guess with new kitchens all the wiring has to be RCD protected at the supply box.

I was wondering about feeding one wire along above the skirting before taking both wires up. .............. I was thinking about people nailing pictures or fittings on the wall between the lights..................
Within 150mm up from the floor for lateral wiring is where I think I should go behind the radiator. .

You are not allowed to conceal wires in these areas unless (per the above) the cables run horizontally or vertically from a switch or other accessory or a light fitting.

You are allowed to run cables within 150mm of a ceiling or a room corner but not above or behind skirting.

Sponsored Links
Yep OK thanks, so straight up from the existing power socket with RCD, with one light on that line of existing wiring above the socket and at that light/point go horizontal across to the other light. These wires to be in buried steel trunking under plaster. Is that correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back