Wall plates? I'm desperate!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone give me a breif idea of how my cavity closer will go on the top of this wall?

I know the wall plate and facia boards need to be attached, but thats not my problem..

The insulation is going to be "blown" in at a later date. Building control were ok with this.
however, im not sure how the cavities should be closed.
do I just cement some slates along the top of the bricks and do the best I can?

building control has told me he cannot come to see it as he's on holiday, however, I am getting water leaking n and I need to at least put the water proof membrane on the roof (to stop the water).

I'm desperate for an urgent reply.. I really do need help on this one!!!.

I uploaded the pic here...
unfortunately the photo has rotated for some reason?
http://tinypic.com/r/5z2m1f/8

Sponsored Links
Are those rafters? If so, how can you put a wall plate in later?

Close the cavity by mortaring some slate or concrete tile over the top.

If you are using the council for building control, they should

not be holding you up by someone saying 'they're on holiday'; someone else should come out to check it for you. You're paying for a service and you should demand it.

They redirected me to someone else who knows nothing about the job, so I thought i'd wait.. that way I don't have to explain everything twice...

should I remove some of the blocks on the inside wall.. to make it lever with the brickwork... and then mortar in the slate before building up with a few rows of bricks and block to support the rafters?

I think the rafters were put on here as a temporary measure for the weather we've had lately.

I'm just trying to get a clear picture of how this works...

Sponsored Links
You're probably making heavy weather of it.
No need to remove any internal blocks. Just get some slates or tiles (or cement-based board) wide enough to cover both the cavity and the width of the external skin of brick - say 7 or 8 inches?
Bed them on mortar laid on the brick, and to stop them leaning down into the cavity, weight them down with bricks bedded in mortar directly over the outer skin. The fascia and soffit will cover any rough-looking work.

that's cool, mate... only the height of the block wall is 2 courses of bricks higher than the brick wall (about half a block higher.

Would I need to remove some of the blocks to get the same level as the bricks (before adding the slate on)... or would it be better to take the brick leaf higher and fit the slates around the area where the rafter meets the brick wall.
(kinda like notching the slates to fit?

oh, also.. do i need some DPC under the slates first?

Thank you so much for this help.. i've been going crazy these last few days!!

Thanks, Steve

Oh God!! thank you so much!!! I was just about to start cutting my walls down with a grinder!!!!

You are welcome to large amounts of alcohol anytime!!! or the equivalent in cash, cigarettes or petrol!! :)

Thank you so much!!!

Just as a thank you note to everybody else... you help was so important and so helpful!!!

I was literally about to start pulling my wall down..

I have thanked everybody in this thread.. you have no idea how grateful I am!!

oh, one more thing just to clear up.. do I need any DPC under the slate?
The insulation will be blown in later, I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

Excellent! That's cleared everything up. Thanks so much!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back