wall socket replacements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do like for like replacement for this wall socket. Got about 5 to do. Where can i get a direct replacement or will i need to replace the whole units back and front with newer ones? Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• 20150805_103325.jpg
    20150805_103325.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 778
Sponsored Links
Looks like an old MK. I presume you mean like for like because the screws are vertical? If so have you checked the back box it may have lugs on the side as well, you could then use any replacement you want.

Accessories are usually held in place by two 3.5mm screws, one on the left and one on the right. The sockets you have there are *very* old and current sockets will need new back boxes. The back boxes you have will probably be B.A screw threads.

Best advise: replace the back boxes with modern ones, and then choose any sockets you please.

Typically if you do this it is worth fitting double back boxes as double sockets are more appropriate these days.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for response. Yes they are very old. Probably better to replace back boxes at the same time. Tnx again.

4 BA screws for faceplates. Or you can probably re-thread the holes to M 3.5

old sockets come on ebay quite often if you just want cleaner ones.

I have never had to replace an old imperial back box for the simple reason it has imperial threads.

So far I've always be able to re-thread the holes, and M3.5 screws have fitted.

As said, the biggest issue is whether the back box has horizontal fixings for a new socket.

Get switched single sockets this time.

Or, as suggested, fit doubles. As said, you will need a new back box in this case.

HOWEVER, 'CONVERTA' sockets are flush doubles which will fit a standard flush single box.

This may be the simplest solution.

Would save a lot of damage.

If you have some horizontal fixing lugs on that back box, you can even re-use those old screws - the CONVERTA has little plastic tabs which will cover those old screws.

You may have to buy some (large) earth sleeving IF the earth wires are bare. Wiring of that age sometimes doesn't have the bare earth sleeved. You would need green and yellow sleeving.

Switched sockets are also a recommendation. The MK ones have good terminals, roomy and easy to align cabling into them.

I wonder what the wiring is like .Would this be before PVC cables?

I have never had to replace an old imperial back box for the simple reason it has imperial threads.

So far I've always be able to re-thread the holes, and M3.5 screws have fitted.

As said, the biggest issue is whether the back box has horizontal fixings for a new socket.

Get switched single sockets this time.

Or, as suggested, fit doubles. As said, you will need a new back box in this case.

HOWEVER, 'CONVERTA' sockets are flush doubles which will fit a standard flush single box.

This may be the simplest solution.

Would save a lot of damage.

If you have some horizontal fixing lugs on that back box, you can even re-use those old screws - the CONVERTA has little plastic tabs which will cover those old screws.

You may have to buy some (large) earth sleeving IF the earth wires are bare. Wiring of that age sometimes doesn't have the bare earth sleeved. You would need green and yellow sleeving.

This is the good advice from Sparkwright. I would bet you're wiring is singles in conduit which will be the earth connection to the socket via the plate screws! I would also recommend the Converta sockets which are ideal for this situation. You may have to connect an earth to the back box. You really need to ensure that the earthing is satisfactory when you replace the sockets.

Regards,

DS

Scrape off some paint from the socket.

The 50's MK sockets were brown, the 60's ones were ivory, IIRC.

Looks like an old MK. I presume you mean like for like because the screws are vertical? If so have you checked the back box it may have lugs on the side as well, you could then use any replacement you want.
Not necessarily - the lugs at the top & bottom can easily get in the way of modern replacements.

Accessories are usually held in place by two 3.5mm screws, one on the left and one on the right. The sockets you have there are *very* old and current sockets will need new back boxes.
Unless the old screws will go through the holes in the faceplates of the new sockets.

Which they will. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back